School me on copper bullets

dromsky

Setting up a .300 WM primarily for elk @ up to 500 yards. In recent years I have used Hornady Eldx with good results but, due to new regulations in Commifornia banning lead ammo and not allowing ammo to be ordered I am faced with adapting to copper for this setup. I don't yet reload so need some suggestions regarding loaded ammo. Gun is Savage 111 lrh, Vx3 3.5x14x40, 26" barrel, 1 in 10 twist. I have also read copper has better weight retention than lead allowing use of lighter projectiles? Currently have .270wsm and .308 that are both good to 500 but maybe a little light for that distance. Tia fellas

I second the notion of custom ammo from Hammer Bullets (RockyMtnMt on this site, or see their website).

In factory ammo you can find on the shelf, Barnes likely has your broadest selection with their TSX, TTSX, and LRX bullets (VOR-TX and VOR-TX LR ammo lines). I used Barnes before converting to Hammer Bullets.

You'll also find a couple more options with Hornady GMX bullets, or Nosler E-Tip bullets. There are others.

I generally agree with the notion that you can use a somewhat lighter bullet when shooting solid coppers, as you mentioned. Though as always, know the particular bullet's characteristics. Not all coppers are the same (Hammer's are significantly different in a couple of ways, for example).

I have been using the Barnes TSX line for a long time and before that theX. Personally I have never had one of these bullets fail me. The weight retention has been 95 to 100% in the bullets I have found and that is only about 6. Most animals have one shot kills very few require a follow up shot. I have also found the newer TSX line to be more accurate then the old X line was. To me this is not a real punishment except to the wallet. I have no experience with the Hammer bullets but hear nothing but good about them.
I hope this is some help and good luck finding ammo that works for you. On the bright side you have quite a while until hunting season if you choose to reload your own.

As stated your best bet would be to have Steve do a custom load for you. I've never been a fan of Barnes myself they just didn't cut it for me. But have been successfully using cutting edge for a long time and they have been very good but hammers are a step above. I'm in the process of changing a lot of mine over to them. I changed my 6.5 creed over from the 147 eld to the 124 hammers and have been very happy.

morning, have and do use barnes bullets. u have to push these
bullets hard. bad mouth the barnes bullets. the advertisement
for the barnes line of bullets is very clear bullet weights,
usage and starting loads, the custom service dept. is
AAA one. this is a premium HUNTING BULLET. say what
u want. Performance speaks the loudest. accuracy
comes with experience. justme gbot tum

I have never used Steve's bullets But with a lot of first hand turning experience
I have found his answers to be truthful and consistent with what I know!
I will not say that about some of the other bullet makers out there!
I plan on trying some Hammers as soon as it warms up!

I have been using Barnes TTSX 180's in my .300 WM the last 6 years. They are not forgiving bullets like lead bullets in that shot placement is critical on game. I'll explain...they do not fragment like lead and I have had several animals walk away and then die. I believe that with lead bullets they fragment causing additional trauma that helps knock down animals in their tracks. I had a beautiful 7x6 elk that I knocked down at last light on a pulled shot (bad hunter shot behind vitals on a moving elk). The elk went down and stayed down for over a minute. (Probably got the wind knocked-out of him) I did not feel I needed to take a follow-up shot Low light got dark, had to crawl 370 yards over deadfall to get to it and it was gone. Multiple days of searching in lost blood trail found the elk 1 mile away a week later. Terrible scenario. I have had several friends who have had similar experiences loosing animals with the TTSX. I was fortunate to take a bull this October at 487 yds with handloaded 180 TTSX. The conditions were not great, swirling winds, snow, last day to hunt. shot through left side quartered out behind vitals. Animal mortally wounded but did not drop and die. Had to take follow-up shots. I retrieved the first bullet on the far side under the hide. Expanded as designed. My experience with solid coper tells me the bullets are great and do their job. As long as you have enough energy at impact they open up and perform well as mentioned above. As with any hunting situation shot placement is key and I believe this is critically important when using weight retaining solid bullets. I like lead bullets for helping overcome my shortcomings in the field but I have been staying with copper because I don't want lead in the game meat I serve to my family.
IMG_0713.jpg

I'm no expert on copper bullets, but RockyMtnMt is and I believe he will make custom ammo for you. If he doesn't chime in, maybe send him a pm.
I've not heard a bad word about Steve or his bullets.[/QUOTE

I am interested in finding someone to custom load Barnes 127 LRX in 6,5x284.
The ranch/hunting lodge I work for will go through at least 25 boxes of ammunition per year. Please provide contact information if you know of anyone that provides that service.
Ray Henicke 325-668-0879

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.