Please school me on bipods

olympicmotors

After finally getting my rifle sorted out and getting consistent 1/2 inch moa groups , I am ready to add a bi pod.

I have never shot off a bi pod and only know what little I have read about in other threads here. Harris and Atlas seem to come up the most frequently.

I have an accurized Rem. 700 from hill country rifles in 300 wm. it only has one swivel stud in front.

My questions are:

1. how hard will it be to add another stud for the bipod / and where can I get instructions on how to do it.

2. I have seen what looks like a miniature picatinny rail some are mounted to . what is
the advantage of those

3. what is the best position on the stock for the bi pod stud?

4. where is the best place to buy a bi pod?

5. is atlas better than harris?

Any help will be appreciated. thanks.

You don't need another stud. Blackhawk makes bipods with a swivel on the bipod for your sling. I find this useful. Honestly I find it the same as Harris bipods. Go pick your self a $40($50 maybe) 6-9 or 9-13 inch bipod at Walmart. They have a ton. I use this on my 243 and 22-250.

"Bad news travels fast for someone who was sniped, for those groundhogs, 3560 ft/s to be exact"

My questions are:

1. how hard will it be to add another stud for the bipod / and where can I get instructions on how to do it.

Adding a stud to the stock, if it's necessary (and it usually isn't) is fairly simple. Depending of course on what type of stud you select, the type of material the stock is made of and where on the stock you intend to install it. You will need a lower helix angle drill bit for synthetic stock.
If you select a threaded stud (one that threads directly into the stock material - not a good idea for a synthetic stock - you'll need a hole slightly smaller than the stud's thread diameter. Much the dame as screwing a couple pieces of wood together.
If you select a threaded stud that includes a threaded "nut" you'll need one size hole for the stud's threaded shaft and a slightly larger hole - drilled from the opposite side - for the "nut".
Just make sure you don't do any drilling until the barrel and action are removed and always use a drill press.
You can buy studs that snap into metal sleeves. The metal sleeves usually screw into the stock material and the studs snap into them for easy attachment or removal of the sling or other accessory that might be attached to the stud. These work well for slings but I wouldn't recommend them or mounting a bipod.

2. I have seen what looks like a miniature picatinny rail some are mounted to . what is the advantage of those.

The rail mounted adapters allow you to snap the bipod on or off of the stock and, IMO, provide a firmer base for securing the bipod to the rifle because you don't have to overcome rifle stock contour variations. I make my own adapters so I don't use them - I don't want to add that weight to my rifle. You can adapt any bipod to a picatinny rail connector.

You'll get a lot of different opinions on that question. My own preference is the further foward I can mount the bipod the better.

Wherever you can find the one you want at the lowest cost.

5. is atlas better than Harris?

Matter of opinion. I like the Harris ....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v-WkipfKzo

After finally getting my rifle sorted out and getting consistent 1/2 inch moa groups , I am ready to add a bi pod.

I have never shot off a bi pod and only know what little I have read about in other threads here. Harris and Atlas seem to come up the most frequently.

I have an accurized Rem. 700 from hill country rifles in 300 wm. it only has one swivel stud in front.

My questions are:

2. I have seen what looks like a miniature picatinny rail some are mounted to . what is
the advantage of those

5. is atlas better than harris?

Any help will be appreciated. thanks.

I like Atlas bipods. I have used several different height harris and just never got the feel for them. Atlas is easy for me to load compared to atlas (IMO). I have mini rail installed on for my atlas. Downfall compared to stud, you have to add a rail to all of your guns if you want to share it with other guns (i use mine on rifle, muzzleloader and long range 22lr).

No sure I would pick up a blackhawk bipod for a .5 moa gun that has some recoil because you will discover the reason it is cheaper. I had a cheaper version before that really opened up my groups shooting a 7mm rem mag compared to a Harris I borrowed. Great on budget for a lighter recoiling gun though.

I favor the Harris bipods but make sure you get the one that will allow you to adjust the cant of the rifle so you can get it level. I think it's the "S" type?

I'm getting an Atlas PSR bipod (their newest version) for my Ruger Precision Rifle. It has solved any "loose legs" problem from earlier models and, to my mind, is the best on the market.

Yeah, Harris bipods with aftermarket mods from LaRue and others are good and less expensive, even with the mods, but the Atlas PSR, IMHO, looks to be the highest quality, cleanest design out there. Their legs can be positioned at forward and rearward angles, or one of each, to accommodate uneven ground, unlike other bipods.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts