Savage Ultralight/LWH bolt issue

JasonAL

Anyone have issues with rough bolt fluting on the savage 110 ultralights or lightweight hunter/storm factory bolts?
I have a Savage lightweight storm 7mm-08 that has trouble cycling. The bolt will bind in the action on the flutes. I've spent the last week everyday cycling rounds through it to help it wear in with only minor improvement. I can cycle about 10-15 rounds through it before the bolt will jam. Got the wife to cycle some through it as it's the rifle she uses and it jams before one magazine. I'd like to figure this out to be reliable for her as she likes the weight/length/safety design of this model.
It does it with or without ammo.

Had the idea to swap bolts from a savage 243 with a standard smooth bolt body, so far I've cycled over 50 rounds through it without issue. Also noticeably smoother cycling. So pretty good chance it's the fluting, so before I starting looking to buy a smooth bolt body, any recommendations on what to try with the factory fluted bolt? The edges of the flutes are not sharp but not rounded off either. This is the only fluted bolt I have experience with.

Yeah, they're pretty rough. Pay attention to how you push the bolt forward- essentially it's easy to bind the bolt if it's being torqued to the side. Example- push the bolt closed with your finger, pushing on the hole in the back of the bolt where the back of the firing pin protrudes (not using the handle). It should close easily every time.

Totally get your frustration. I have one and it's the same way.

I notice the roughness on my Kimber Adirondack compared to a Montana too.
Deep fluteing does have its downside,I'm sure with more use it will get better ,the thumb on the bolt shroud will help,kelly

I'll give Savage a call next week about it. Definitely not having a rifle that has to be operated by pushing the bolt shroud instead of the bolt handle. The other savages if had have all functioned reliably. And testing with my other factory jeweled bolt it functions great.

If i were in your shoes i'd be calling Savage. They are very helpful!
If I were in his shoes...Savage would already have it back! And I wouldn't be wasting time asking for advice here! " I got a brand new truck and I can't put it in drive....should I pull it back and forth for a while...or spend more money and get a totally different transmission without taking it to the New Truck Service Warranty Department!" Jeeeeez!

Well I decided this would be the easiest, fastest, and cheapest. Ordered a new jeweled bolt body, arrived today and installed. Might try to smooth down the fluted bolt by hand if I ever want to change it back.
377E91C2-810A-428A-83C8-3CCB93F45BD4.jpeg