Savage ultra lite 6.5 creedmoor proof barrel

Josebd

Using the hornady o.a.l. Gauge with hornady 140 eldm bullet
After 7 attempts I get an average of 2.019 off the ogive !With the bullet c.o.a.l. 2.618? Does this barrel have a short throat?

The cartridge base to ogive (CBTO) of 2.019 does seem short. With my barrels the CBTO with ELdx or Berger bullets is 2.2xx something. So 2.019 is way short.

Couple things about the Hornady tools though:
1) The brass case they use for the guage is a piece of unfired brass and it tends to be shorter than SAAMI spec.
2) The part of the tool that measures the actual ogive is not made to very tight tolerances. This means that the diameter of the hole in the aluminum insert can vary greatly and cannot be used to measure against other tools. When using these tools the measurements are only relevant to that specific tool. This means your 2.019 could be someone else's 2.120 or something!

A more precise way to get a measurement for your barrel is to use a case that has been fired in that barrel, with a bullet and some blue (or red) Loctite. Put some Loctite inside the neck and barely insert the bullet. Remove the bolt and put the head of the case against the bolt head and slowly insert back into the rifle and let the Loctite setup for 30~60 minutes then extract the case. You will then have a very accurate dummy round and accurate CBOT measurement.

It is best to do this by carefully inserting the lip of the cartridge behind the extractor and guiding the bolt and cartridge carefully back into the rifle. It also works easier if you remove the ejector, but not totally necessary.

I had a 308 Savage heavy varmint barrel that jammed the bullet into the lands with factory Federal Gold Medal Match 168 HPBT which is not loaded long at all.
I sent it down the road and replaced it with another from a different manufacturer.

FWIW... my buddy has the exact Savage 6.5C Ultralight and it shoots very well. We often shoot together at the range and I don't remember him having such short throat issues.

I just tried Sierra 142 hpbt,seated at 2.222 ogive,bolt closed normal,very light land marks

If you see land marks on your bullet you are at a "jam" in the lands. I would be cautious about running it there for anything other than benchrest work as pressure can spike quickly with an error there.

What is the COAL at that 2.222 ogive measurement?

Just measured mine and I'm about 2.210" B to O and COAL of 2.830 sitting 30k off.
My COAL varies +/- .008 with the same Ogive seating.
From my experience, Hornady 140 ELD-M have been extremely inconsistent in bullet dimensions.

Same thing with the sierras, really sucks, paid over $1100 and can't even shoot it, I wonder if they would just send me a barrel? I have all the tools to change it out

I wonder if Proof or Savage cuts the chambers on those rifles.
Savage has had good customer service IMO. I once had a LRP Creedmoor barrel that had a loose spot in the barrel. I could feel it while cleaning with a patch. Called them, they told me to send it back and they would check it. They replaced the barrel, no problem. Stated reason was "it was out of spec".
If you are having a problem chambering factory rounds, I suspect they would fix it.

I wonder if Proof or Savage cuts the chambers on those rifles.
Savage has had good customer service IMO. I once had a LRP Creedmoor barrel that had a loose spot in the barrel. I could feel it while cleaning with a patch. Called them, they told me to send it back and they would check it. They replaced the barrel, no problem. Stated reason was "it was out of spec".
If you are having a problem chambering factory rounds, I suspect they would fix it.
This…/\ /\
You beat me to it.

Recent Posts