Savage Prefit problems

winmagman

I've been tinkering with my Savages for the last few years now. Basic stuff really, rebarrel, triggers, bedding, just wringing out as much as I can from them. I've had some barrels installed by gunsmiths, others I've just ordered prefits depending on my needs.

Well this morning I went to spin on a new prefit for one of the boys rifles and it just wouldn't fit. It's the right shank size but the threads are just a little to large. The barrel nut and action both will go about a turn and a half before locking up.

Since this is the second time this has happened in the last 5 prefits Ive used ( 2 different manufacturers) I just got to wondering if this has happened to anyone else and is it that common or am I just the unluckiest SOB on the planet.

Chris

It happens all the time. Your threads are correct, the peaks just need to be knocked down a touch.

Take a flat file and run it across the tops of the threads. It won't take but the lightest touch to get them to fit your nut and action perfect.

It happens all the time. Your threads are correct, the peaks just need to be knocked down a touch.

Take a flat file and run it across the tops of the threads. It won't take but the lightest touch to get them to fit your nut and action perfect.

+1,

I smooth them up with some 400grit. I wrap the threads with the paper and spin it in my hand. Then clean and test fit. When I say 'clean' I mean CLEAN IT UP 100%, then clean the threads again. If it doesn't spin right on, take a little more off and 'clean' clean, try repeat ...

You don't want the top of the threads to bottom out in the action, it will mess up your accuracy.

AJ

Thanks guys,

I'll give that a try and let you know what happens. The first time it happened the barrel had to go back. The OD of the tops of the threads acually gained .011 as I measured from the chambered end toward the muzzle. This one is consistent just a touch oversized.

Chris

Thanks guys,

I'll give that a try and let you know what happens. The first time it happened the barrel had to go back. The OD of the tops of the threads acually gained .011 as I measured from the chambered end toward the muzzle. This one is consistent just a touch oversized.

Chris

One other thing, put a touch of lithium grease when you are test fitting, you won't get things stuck as easily. The grease adds to the cleaning chore, but it helps with the fitting.

Good luck,
AJ

Well after further measuring and lots of agonizing I decided to call the manufacturer before giving it a try myself.

I just wasn't comfortable with the amount of metal that needed to be removed. The OD of the threads on the take off barrel were .014 smaller than the new one was . I have no idea if I needed to get to the take off size (probably not) or what the measurement from root to crest is on barrel threads, but I didn't feel like screwing it up. So I called.

They were very helpful and apologetic. told me to package it up with the action and they'd make sure it was right. They even covered the cost of shipping it there.

So far so good.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.