savage model 40 in 22 hornet

Possum284

I know its not a long range roung exactly but I just picked one up and was looking for some pet loads using 40gr. ballsitic tips and was also wondering if anyone knows if I could rechamber for 222 remington would the gun be able to handle it i asked in gunsmithing but got no response any help is appreciated thanks

Not long range? UncleB shot a chuck at one heck of a distance with the Hornet. Got the chuck and the bullet was nearly reusable.:eek:

I think it would be too much of a job to refit/chamber it to 222 Rem.

Barring some smith doing it for nearly free, buying and converting it would probably end up costing more than you could buy a used .222 for. And would not be as strong, nor is it likely you could have it feed from the magazine.

Or is the Sav. 40 already a single shot? Don't think so but not sure.

Boomtube, the older ones are single shots but the new 2008 have a mag. Load it up with 13gr of little gun and a 40gr v-max and you will get 3100fps. Me and some friends have them and we all shoot the same load.

its just a single shot and i figured it would be to much hassle i thought i would get a recomendation fora 22k hornet but if your getting 3100 with a 40 vmax out of a regular hornet sounds good to me i was hoping for 2850-2900 with a 40gr. ballistic tip which must be close to a v max thanks for the replys keepem comin

"a 40gr v-max and you will get 3100fps"

Wow! That's good for a Hornet, I'd like to git me one'a them! :D

And thanks for the single shot info, I only looked at one close up at a gun show. Liked the looks but didn't commit the details to memory.

its a sweet little gun but i'm skeptical about 3100fps with a 40gr bullet but i think 2900 is possible anyone else know i know one guy on here shoots out to 500 and further with a hornetn mayber he will chime in

22 hornet..

I've been waiting/looking for over 2 years for a Browning Micro-Hunter LH so I can shoot turkeys in the fall season across the fields. Sounds like a good load if I ever get a Hornet. Just how 'fer can a Hornet shoot well??

I have 2 Hornets and I'm reluctant to push mine to 3100fps. I do use 40gr vmax and Lilgun but only about 12gr...that's where mine shoots the best. My longest kill has been 285yds on a groundhog and several at 200ish. Neat little rd and low cost to shoot too...if you handload.

3100 seems a bit high anyone know the differences between the 22k hornet with a 35 degree shoulder and the one with a 40 degree shoulder performance wise i'm lookin into the 40 degree one

Possum 284, the 22 Hornet is a better long range cartridge than most people give it credit for. My gun is a Ruger 77/22 that I've bedded and reworked the trigger and it is capable of shooting accurately well past 500 yrds. The gun is nicknamed the B.O.A.G and has taken Rock Chucks and P. Dogs well past 600 yrds. The write ups are on LRH from Aug. 2005 ( if they still exist )

The load I shoot is 13.9 gr L"il Gun W/ a 40 grn NBT and Win. cases @ 3080 fps. I only shoot the gun single shot with the bullet seated .020 off the lands, which only leaves me .090 of bullet in the case neck and a lot more room in the case for powder.
The B.O.A.G will shoot about 1/2" to 3/4" on average, at 100 yrds and hold sub MOA out past 600yrds.

Admittedly the bullet performance at these ranges is minimal at best, but P Dogs out to 400 or so drop in their tracks. Rock Chucks are tougher , but will drop at 350-400 if you poke it in the right spot.

The ones and I shot at 600 plus were to try to get into the VHA 500 yrd club. These longer shots were at 11,200 ft elevation which gives a big advantage. Also we picked shots at Chucks that were far away from their dens feeding to make sure they didn't get underground before dying. We were succesful at 640yrds.

It sure is fun to pull it out at the range, dial it up and whack the 600yrd Gong with a bunch of non believers around. --------7mmRHB

284, my cousin turned his 77/22 hornet into a 40* K Hornet last year. The performance gain is incredible. He also shoots his single shot with the bullet seated long, so the numbers may not apply to your gun??

His old load before the K Hornet was 13.8 gr L'il Gun and 40gr NBTs w/ Win. cases @ 3085 fps. (Win. cases hold more powder)

The K Hornet load is 14.8 gr L'il Gun and 40gr NBTs w/ Win. cases @ 3340 fps. He can now ring the gong well past 700 yds with alot more energy. Pretty amazing gain for just one grain of powder!!! ------7mmRHB

Possum 284, the 22 Hornet is a better long range cartridge than most people give it credit for. My gun is a Ruger 77/22 that I've bedded and reworked the trigger and it is capable of shooting accurately well past 500 yrds. The gun is nicknamed the B.O.A.G and has taken Rock Chucks and P. Dogs well past 600 yrds. The write ups are on LRH from Aug. 2005 ( if they still exist )

. --------7mmRHB

Yup, they still exist! Here it is:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/640-yard-chuck-pic-22hornet-boag-baby-all-guns-12597/

thanks for that info do you guys know where I could get my gun rechambered and the single shot thing dosen't matter cause thats all mine is anyway thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.