22 Hornet in Savage model 219 . . .anyone handload for this?

STEEL SLINGER

I recently picked up this neat little rifle and now on the hunt for some ammo (right-LOL!). It is a Savage model 219 in 22 Hornet. I'm interested to know if anyone has any hand load experience with this rifle they wish to share. With a 26" barrel it should have some 22 K Hornet velocities. Thank you.

not in that particular gun but ive owned a number of hornets through the years. There pretty effiecent in a 22 inch barrel and i doubt your going to get into k velocitys with your 26 inch barrel. My go to accuracy load in most of my hornets was the 35 grain vmax, using 1680 and a rem match small rifle primer. Maybe its because the case capasity was so small but its one round that match primers really made a differnce in. Sometimes cutting groups in half.

Thanks, Lloydsmale. That is interesting about the primers. . .as much as half? At the moment I am pulling factory bullets for the brass and only have some 45gr. TSX .224 bullets and CCI 450's on hand. I did find some Lil' Gun powder in a friends powder vault though :). So, this weekend I may give it a range test weather permitting.

+1 to what lloydsmale said about the match primer.And some of the old hornets were actually cut to use a .223 bullet.Thats why they used to list both .223 and .224 bullet diameters.Pressure can spike weird in the smaller barrel diameter so watch for that!
My go to for the hornet has always been a 42 gr Calhoon and IMR 4227 powder with a Remington 7 1/2 primer.Tiny little case so be careful and have fun.Great little round.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.