Savage Model 10BA firing problems

soren86

Hey everybody,

I recently picked up a Savage Arms Model 10 BA, brand new out of the box. The first time I took it shooting, I got 5 rounds out before it stopped firing. I could see the firing pin was striking the primers, but very lightly.

I took it home, took the bolt apart, cleand and inspected it, re oiled and re assembled.

Took it out a second time. Again struck the primer. It now struck it a bit harder. I also changed the type of ammunition I was using.

Took it home again, adjusted the Accutrigger (seems to be a forum fave fix) and inspected the bolt and firing pin for damage, there was none.

Third time out, again changing the ammunition. fired about 30 rounds. I had 3 misfires scattered through the 30 where the primer was struck and no boom. After the first 20 (2 were mis fires), i switched to the old ammunition and again would not fire. swithed to another type of ammo and it worked (except one mis fire).

I am about to throw this gun in the lake because any tool which doesnt work 100% of the time is a usless tool. It is also a dangerous one because one of these days its going to be a real hang fire rather than a mis striken primer, I'll get frusturated with the wait to clear the hang fire (now totaling almost an hour, and yes i do take the precautiobnary time to ensure its not a hang fire) and boom, by by me.

Does any body know if this model is just a total pice-O-crap or is there a way to fix it? Ive tried to order a new firing pin spring but Savage will only ship to a dealer and I'm in rural canada. no dealers.

Please help megun)
Please and thank you

This is how to fix your problem .....call savage arms. They are great people to deal with. There are many many hunters ,,,shooters myself included on this site that will tell you the very same thing, just
(( call --savage )) ..

Okay, Problem solved and and shooting perfect.

This is the first (im sure ont the only) rifle ive ever found with what seems to be an adjustable firing pin. all i had to do was tahe the bolt apart and adjust the firing pins length by a fraction of a turn and all of a sudden i was shooting consistantly and accuratly. and of corse, every so often the accutrigger safety would kick in, but thats no big deal.

Pretty simple fix once you figure out the issue.

:)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.