savage lrh in 6.5-284 norma with 123 amax

longwaze

I have been playing around with 123 gr. amax because im out of vlds.im using h 4350 cci primers. I started getting heavy bolt lift at 47 grs. Is that not a lil soon to see pressure ? I was shooting 130 bergers with 4831 sc with good accuracy at 2925 fps. But the amax opened my groups to 1 moa with that powder so tried the 4350 and seems to be pretty tight again ......and maybe try some of the 130 vlds with that powder when they are available again ! Let me know your thoughts guys

I have a 6.5-06AI. I tried 7828SSC with the 123. I got good accuracy, but ran into pressure a bit before I wanted. the speed was not what I was expecting. I switched to Hunter, got the same speed, great accuracy and no pressure. sometimes, the rifle tells you what it doesn't like. :) keep playing with it, I really like those bullets, good accuracy and a heck of a lot cheaper than Berger.

Right at 3200. I would think you can get close, if not all that with the 284 case. I only have a 10" twist, so I cant shoot heavies. It loves 10 b-tips. 3500. Either bullet is about 21min at 1000. Nice to shoot.

If anyone is doubting 123 amax for deer go on you tube and type 6.5-284 is alive. There are 3 water jugs at 325 yards !

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.