Savage 110 Predator 6.5 x 284 Norma

Ryan55555

Just bought me a new toy yesterday.

Need some suggestions on brass (Lapua or Norma) and also a reloading die, I use Forster for my other calibers so I will most likely stick with them.

Also any loads would be great, I am planning to shoot the 140 Bergers.

Thanks for any info.

Ryan

I have the savage 116 Stainless flutted barrel. Its only 22 inches. Here is my load.
primer=federal large rifle match
powder=4831ssc 51.6 grns
COL= 3.1inches
I'll have to check my trim length.
140 berger
volicity is 2775 average.
It hold 1/2 inch group after the first cold bore shot.

Now I know this sounds odd but the HSM loaded berger ammo is running about 3010 to 3025 fps out of my rifle and the bolt is tight. Also there is marks on the back of the case. I tried this winter 52.5 grains and was getting 2850 fps and the bolt was fine. It warmed up to 65+ degrees and the load is to hot. The 51.6 is above the recommended book maximum load but it shoots fine in my gun. Recommended max load with the 140 berger is only around 2625 to 2650fps out of the 22 inch tube. I thake the 2775 Fps and the 1/2 inch at 100 yrds. Same setup also shot .80 inches at 200yrds. Not shure how long your barrel is if its the pread. I thought it was a 24 inch barrel in the blue. You may get some more speed out of it. I would also do the ladder testing that is on the sight if you do a seach for it. Good luck. gun)

I have a Savage LRH. 24" barrel. First thing you should do is make sure the barrel is fully floated and making no contact with the stock. If so, clear it with sandpaper/dowel and torque the stock bolts per the instruction manual. Both loads produce .25-.5 MOA consistently, and tested out to 500 yards in my rifle:

Lapua Brass
Redding FL S Bushing Dye, Redding Competition seater. Neck bushing size .292"
Berger 140 Hunting VLD's. Seated .075" off the lands.

Load 1: H4831SC 53 grains , Fed Match Primer. 2940 FPS, ES 10-15FPS
Load 2: Retumbo, 59 grains, Fed Magnum Primer. 3015 FPS. ES-10-15FPS

Note: bullet seating depth does make a difference in pressure and accuracy with these bullets. I saw a clear accuracy improvement seating .075" off the lands, Lower pressures, and lower ES. I also have a Cooper that shows the same effect with these bullets. If you seat close to the lands with these loads, you could see pressure signs. Work up with a couple of grains lower with both loads. I have seen lot variations of +60 FPS with Retumbo. Recent lots are hotter than the older lots of two years ago. This load is with the recent lots.

Rifle Magazine had (march 2012) had a great article on the savage LRH in 6.5x284 with a lot of reload data. no berger bullets were used but good info none the less.

I ordered some Norma brass a few months back and when I was inspecting the brass I found 3 out of 50rnds that looked suspicious to me almost like cracks so I culled them out. Other than that I like how my brass is doing so far. Using cci 250mag primers and 57grns Retumbo. Psi signs beyond that. I wondered if switching primersight help me get another grain or two in but just haven't done it yet especially with limited stock in primers.

Greyfox. Was it just as simple as that with your stock? Pull it off sand down barrel channel and put it back together?? Haven't done this to my predator hunter but have noticed the pressure point at the fore end.

I use regular Redding dies. I am sure that Forsters would be a good choice. Hard to go wrong there.

I have a few Norma cases. The rest of my brass is Lapua. IMO, Lapua is the only way to go. My Norma brass is much softer and shows pressure signs a lot earlier.

Using Lapua brass, Federal standard primers, 140g AMAX, and H4831, my accuracy node came in at 52.5 grains. At this level, the ejector slot is leaving a very faint mark on the case head. Though I am getting no other pressure signs, the ejector slot mark makes me nervous that the load may be too hot. I haven't chronoed the load, but I have shot it at 600 yards side by side with my 6.5x55. The 6.5-284 shoots about four inches flatter at that distance. It shoots very well, but I am not sure that I want to continue to shoot it as is. The minor difference in trajectory vs my Swede tells me that backing down to the next accuracy node would defeat the purpose of the cartridge. I may do another load workup with Retumbo and see how that works out.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.