Savage LA - Old version - 6.5 PRC?

Muddyboots

SO I have an old Savage 110 rifle (30-06 that was poorly maintained by previous owner) that I scavanged from a casual friend that I can use as a donor. The barrel was obviously trash but the action was pretty clean. I am thinking this could be a nice 6.5 PRC build just by switching out the bolt face of this action. Has anyone done this with a Savage standard LA? I like the added COAL I would get with the LA and this could a really nice means to get what I want in the 6.5 PRC.

Thoughts?

How old is your action? The bolts on the old Savage flat back action have an indexing tab on them that makes them incompatible with new production bolt heads. Other than that I think it's a great idea that should work out great.

Thinking out loud here. Yes you will have to change the bolt head. Some prefit barrel makers will not chamber a 6.5 PRC in a small shank Savage action others will. You will also have to modify the magazine or replace it. Be very careful not to twist the Tang of the action while taking the barrel off. Sometimes they can be a bugger bear to get off. Good luck!

Its really old, large shank, and I have replaced Savage barrels so have all the right tools (action wrenches, barrel vise, etc) to do so. So far barrels have come off quite easily. Just removed a Remington barrel that I thought was going to be a bear and just spun off by far the easiest. Go figure on that one. I can get old style magnum bolt head for $40.75 from Numrich that should work for PRC. I have to finish a 300WSM Remage build first but this really has my interest to push ahead on.

Savage didn't start making large shank actions until 2002 and I don't know of any model in 30-06 that's used a large shank barrel. If you have a large shank barrel (1.120"x20 threads) then your action uses the standard, current production bolt head.

Make it simple. Re barrel to a 6.5x06 & have the same ballistics as the 6.5 PRC. A forever supply of inexpensive plentiful 25-06 or 30-06 brass. Run one thru a 6.5x06 FL sizer, load & shoot. No neck turning & no trimming required & smooth as butter feeding.. Simple, simple , simple.

I am pretty sure that an old flat back long action with a notched bolt would not have a large shank barrel. Measure the barrel nut if it is 7/8" long Then it is a standard shank if it is 5/8 long then it is a Large shank. Sounds like fun I love planning out another build with parts on hand. Good Luck.

Well it is really old 110 with a large shank 7/8 nut. I haven't run the serial yet but I bet it is at least 40 years old. My 53 year old 110 is a large shank too. Here is a pic of my first rifle; a 110C that I rebarreled last year with 24" Shaw that I bought out of MidwayUSA clearance for ridiculous low price. Still in plastic wrapper only missing bore paste and oil so it was marked down about 50%. Shoots really well for an old walnut stock. I did bed the lug which seemed to help quite a bit though.

Attachments

• IMG_1707.JPG
    IMG_1707.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 148
Pictures worth a thousand words! I somehow mixed up the terminology of the standard shank as the larger one of 7/8" and always thought of them as the larger shank as such. I've appreciate the clarification of terminology. No reason to keep mouth shut when helping someone out. Never too old to be corrected or learn something.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey I get it. I did not want you to order a large shank barrel and then it not fit. That is all. I was not being a smart ***.
Hope it turns out well. Post pics when you are done. I just did an Large Shank 6.5 SAUM for my son and it turned out great. It is a shooter. I got the barrel, nut and recoil lug from James at Northland Shooter Supply.

Somehow screwed it up since I ordered right one for my old 110C when I swapped barrel out last year. WTH? Guess just had brain cramp. I have a barrel ordered from Preferred Barrel (MGM) for another project so will see how it goes for next one. I have another one in mind to replace the 110C barrel again with a longer 26" 1:9 or even 1:8 to shoot longer bullets for the .270Win. Too much fun when retired.

So, the old flat back style 110 actions are solid. I have built several rifles off that action. The bolt and bolt head issue is a non event. Yes there is an indexing tab in the bolt body that can be removed or order a bolt head with the indexing tab cut out. Very simple solutions available. If you really want to get fancy just order a new bolt body. Also, keep in mind the firing pin on the old actions may be a large pin vs the small. Another easy solution is to buy the new firing pin assembly. They are cheap.

If the action is a stagger feed blind mag and you choose to update stocks to a dbm or magazine center feed style you will likely need to modify the action a little. This is just opening up the bottom of the action is all. Simple for a garage smith, have done many.

PRC on a long action works just fine, if that is what you want to do. A long action round such as the 6.5-284 or the 6.5-06 is pretty close in speed, maybe 100 fps slower. The 6.5-06Ai might worth the time but i'd prolly just stick with the 6.5-284, which I have.

I am running a 6.5 PRC on a short action bighorn and prefit proof 22" and my current 6.5-284 is on a 28' proof.

I have converted a flat back long action 270 win to 6.5-284 which is exactly what you are doing without the magnum bolt face. The biggest problem that I had to overcome is getting the staggered feed magazine to feed the shorter fatter case. If you could go to a center feed or AICS magazine you can easily fix this issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts