Savage elite precision 338

I have absolutely found that to be true. Most of my guns like around .020" under, but the evidence is there when a barrel likes a bullet, at least that has been my experience. I will add most of the guns that I own that shoot the best show promise soon, not always the case, but many times after I have torqued everything, action screws, base and ring screws, made sure of clearance and no pressure points, if a rifle is going to shoot it will demonstrate that early on. Shots four, five and six out of my 28 Nosler were like .15" at 100 yards. I've never shot another group like that with it, but it is a tack driver.
My 28 was the same way. In the .2's in less than 20 shots.

So I started to make a dummy round to start the reloading process. I am using a Lyman 49th edition book. The oal with a 300gr HPBT IS 3.680. My mag length is 3.770 and right to the lands is 3.860. If I go with mag length that's still .090 off. That's kind of far for me. Should I load to chamber length and load one at a time? I am using Lapua brass with a Hornady 300gr Atip
So my understanding from your post is that you are preparing to reload and have not fired any rounds yet. If so you may find that the jump may be ok in your gun. I have a wildcat 7mm-300 Weatherby and I can't get anywhere close to the lands with the freebore in that gun. .120 jump is normal for some bullets to be set at or around mag length. I wouldn't worry about pushing the bullets into the lands. Start at just under mag length and see what happens.

I thought the only thing changed was the recoil lug from previous models? Can't say what they're, but get notes about stocks when searching on chassis mfgrs sites.
You can order the 3.85 cip mag from MDT...I Have the same gun. You will get a very good load at 3.755 with the atip but the elite shines with 250 gr loads...best accuracy good speed (3070 fps)

Last edited:
I have absolutely found that to be true. Most of my guns like around .020" under, but the evidence is there when a barrel likes a bullet, at least that has been my experience. I will add most of the guns that I own that shoot the best show promise soon, not always the case, but many times after I have torqued everything, action screws, base and ring screws, made sure of clearance and no pressure points, if a rifle is going to shoot it will demonstrate that early on. Shots four, five and six out of my 28 Nosler were like .15" at 100 yards. I've never shot another group like that with it, but it is a tack driver.
Do a ladder test with powders you want to shoot. .5 grain at a time until you get close, then you can tighten up, up to you.
On bullet seating,
I would go .010" at a time until you find the magic, then you can whittle that down to .003"or .004" each length difference. 3 shots is all you need at this point. Gun will tell you what it wants.

So I got home today and checked my mag. It's an accurate mag. 3.850. That's the outside dimensions. The inside dimensions are roughly 3.770.

Will do a ladder test for chamber length and one for mag length just in case.

Attachments

• IMG_4855.jpeg
    IMG_4855.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4854.jpeg
    IMG_4854.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 11
So my understanding from your post is that you are preparing to reload and have not fired any rounds yet. If so you may find that the jump may be ok in your gun. I have a wildcat 7mm-300 Weatherby and I can't get anywhere close to the lands with the freebore in that gun. .120 jump is normal for some bullets to be set at or around mag length. I wouldn't worry about pushing the bullets into the lands. Start at just under mag length and see what happens.
Some of the WBY cartridges, by design, have extreme free bore.
Weatherby free bore.JPG

I have a .257 WBY SAAMI that can be loaded to the lands with 145 Black Hole bullets. Pictured is .015" off the lands.

.257 WBY 145 Black Hole COAL 3.34 CBTO 2.833 .015 off the lands.jpg

Last edited: