Savage 10/110 FCP HS Precision .308 or 300win

fireball31

Ok, After much reading and thought I have decided that my initial entry into the long range game will be a savage 10/110 FCP HS Precision. 99.99% of all the hunting that I do will be for whitetail and four legged creatures that are smaller. I am debating between .308 and .300 Win. I'm leaning towards the 300 because I would like to know that I have a 1000yd capable firearm. (side track. I understand that it will be quite some time before my shooting will be capable of a 1000yd shot) I will be reloading. I will be placing a burris xtr 6-24x50 on it. I understand that there is better glass out there for the job, but I get a ridiculous deal on burris products and the edge of the others is not enough to outweigh the savings. Thanks again for your input. Quick background. I already have a MKII savage as a training tool, and I shoot steel targets out to 600 with an H&R buffalo Classic with a tang sight. Thanks for your time guys.

if your not stuck on a 30cal. I would say something in the 7mm lineup for what you want to do as far as the rifle goes great choice and good luck.

one crazy kid.. I thought about that. That is one of the reason's I'm going with the savage. If I decide to switch calibers I think I'm handy enough to do a barrel swap myself. thats another reason why I am leaning towards the 300. I would have a lot more caliber options with the Long Action.

In that case I would go with the 300wm because like you said you will have alot more options to choose from later.

fireball,
Go with the .300WinMag. Nothing wrong with the .308, but once I shot the WinMag I laid the smaller .30 cals down. I can only see going bigger and faster.
That .300 will definately be ready for 1K whenever you are ready to try it. I shoot on the weekends with a couple of guys that shoot .308's. Both guys are pretty good shots but the edge (trajectory and wind deflection) goes to the .300 when the ranges get past 700yds. They're pushing 168 gn @ 2800-ish fps while I'm pushing the 180's @ 3100 fps. I could increase the margin, I'm sure, by going with the 200gn + pills, but it's just for fun.
Lot's more rifle there. JohnnyK.

With the advent of the 225 Hornady, 215 Berger & the 230 Berger, there is NOTHING the 7mm can do that the 30 can't (except burn a barrel faster). With your background I have to assume you are no stranger to recoil as the 300 will boot you a little bit. I would recommend ensuring your rig is a shooter then having a brake installed.

Other than that, rock the 300 as per your needs/wants. If you were only looking for a mid-range plinker (600-700max), i'd say 308. The 300 is again gaining popularity & steam with the new life provided by the .700+ BC's of the new heavies. That's some serious medicine on there receiving end.

t

Thanks for the replies gentleman. You pretty much confirmed my opinion. I have the rifle and optics ordered should see them sometime in the next couple months.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.