Savage builder question

bsnyder

For those that have put together savages with prefits I have a question. I have a large shank and ordered an xcaliber 338 edge barrel it finally came it and it won't screw in to my action as the diameter is to large. What did I do wrong? I plan on asking xclaiber tomorrow but I was 99% sure I had everything right and in talking with them as I was placing the order everything seemed ok. Anyone have any insight? It's a savage big magnum contour barrel, if that helps.

For those that have put together savages with prefits I have a question. I have a large shank and ordered an xcaliber 338 edge barrel it finally came it and it won't screw in to my action as the diameter is to large. What did I do wrong? I plan on asking xclaiber tomorrow but I was 99% sure I had everything right and in talking with them as I was placing the order everything seemed ok. Anyone have any insight? It's a savage big magnum contour barrel, if that helps.
What model is the Savage action? Either the wrong barrel thread was ordered/or received the wrong order. Good luck. I hope you get it sorted out.

Savage 116
"My" Savage 116 (originally 7MM STW) is a small shank.

Savage small vs large shank 1 of 2.jpg

Savage small vs large shank 2 of 2.JPG

Last edited:
I'd bet you have a small shank 116.
The earlier magnums were small shank and transitioned to large shank in the early 2000's.
So depending on the manufacturing date of your rifle, it could be either.
Unless it was not a magnum originally... then 116 would definitely be a small shank.

What was your rifle originally chambered in? I've read the 116 was both small and large shank depending on cartridge (like 300 RUM).
I had an older flat back 110 in 7 Rem Mag that was small shank.
I have a 114 30 06 small shank.
My buddy has an identical 114 in 7 RM with small shank also.

Well, without looking...I think you have a 116 300 RUM that pre-dates the accutrigger and enlarged shank in some magnum calibers. Don't remember exactly which came first but if your's doesn't have an accutrigger then I'm pretty sure it pre-dates the large shank models.
Not a problem except that you'd have to return for a swap to same barrel but with the small shank.
Your barrel nut will tell you if you tried it on the new barrel.

Bummer.
That's one where measuring would have helped.
Savage has monkeyed with their action designs so many times: Center Feed, Stagger Feed, Top bolt release, bottom bolt release, etc. One of the reasons it's harder to find Savage aftermarket stocks.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but your large shank can be turned and rethreaded to a small shank. I would recommend you hand it to a smith so they can face the action, bolt and headspace it with a shouldered barrel. Then all you will need to bring is a quality recoil lug, barrel, action and bolt. (and a few Franklins)

Edit to Add : I can tell you from experience, the 300 RUM feed port is not long enough for the 338 Edge to feed cartridges with 300 Berger OTM seated out to max length. The 3.850 AICS 338 Lapua Box mag won't cut it. You'll need to have your feed opening milled for the extended box mag. So, unless you're planning on having a good bullet jump, or want a single feed, it's worth the expense.

Last edited:
So is the deal I spoke with Excalibar after texting pictures back-and-forth it's determined that it is a small shank not a large they're going to take care of me and I'm gonna ship it back and they're going to re-thread it and as soon as they get it they quoted me a week turnaround time cannot say enough good things about Excalibur's customer service on my stupid mistake

Well, without looking...I think you have a 116 300 RUM that pre-dates the accutrigger and enlarged shank in some magnum calibers. Don't remember exactly which came first but if your's doesn't have an accutrigger then I'm pretty sure it pre-dates the large shank models.
Not a problem except that you'd have to return for a swap to same barrel but with the small shank.
Your barrel nut will tell you if you tried it on the new barrel.
You are correct mine did not have an Accu trigger in it when I bought it even the Excalibar guys were kind of confused when I gave them the measurements of everything

So is the deal I spoke with Excalibar after texting pictures back-and-forth it's determined that it is a small shank not a large they're going to take care of me and I'm gonna ship it back and they're going to re-thread it and as soon as they get it they quoted me a week turnaround time cannot say enough good things about Excalibur's customer service on my stupid mistake
That's good news,