savage breakin questions help please

gremcat

I have a savage 12fv in .223 I broke it in by shooting one then using a boresnake with hoppe's on it for the first ten then went to every five shots for a few then every ten.I know hoppe's is terrible but didn't know at the time I have now shot at least 150 bullets through it and am cleaning after every range session with wipeout my question is after the first two groups are .75 or less they open up to 1.5 with every ammo I use I thought it was the ammo or me which I am sure some is but it has now been cnsistently like this through three range sessions.Do you think Ishould use the wipeout at the range after every 10 shots or does it just need more time to break in?:confused:

I also should say that the stock has a big gap on one side of the barrel and only a small one on the other .I checked and it is floating but am going to change it for a b and c gold medalist and a good bed job when I can

Is the point of impact changing as well or just the groups opening up? If just the groups opening maybe you need to let it cool off a little more....also make sure the scope mounting hardware isn't loose.

They are just opening up I had the scope mounted at the gun shop but he didn't use lock tight or anything should I redo it with locktite? and also should I have them torqued down to a certain setting? it is the dednutz one piece base.I noticed it was quite warm after the five round shots last time but I let it cool until it is just a little warm and only shoot 3 shots same thing.1.5 inches or so.

You can bed it yourself if you like. Pretty cheap and easy to do. My Savage did the same thing, I just got another barrel and stock, hopefully it shoots well.

Gremcat, have you tried returning to the range on that second day without cleaning your barrel. Let it foul a little and return with a dead cold barrel. I wouldn't think your mounts are loose if you are shooting .75 groups for two groupings. It almost sounds like a heated barrel issue or figuring out how many fouling shots your barrel needs.

I think you need to get it bedded, if it is a heavy barrel the heat should not afeck it as bad as a lite barrel.Try two cold barrel groups and see hot it groups, if good on both then it needs to be bedded. Then the action can't move around on you and should group the same.

It is a 12fv so the barrel is pretty heavy (the biggest diameter barrel I have ever seen)I haven't tried it fouled to see how it groups cold but will next time It seems to get worse the dirtier it gets though so I was thinking it just needs more breakin but was looking for more experienced opinions than mine :eek:

Get Sweets Copper cleaner and read the instructions close. Give it a good copper fowling cleaning. Sweets is the strongest I have found, it will clean the tube like new. Just another thing to try.

Well,I shot ti with a dirty bore and the forst two groups where tight so I think it is extremely heat sensitive The other problem might be that I can't tighen the rear action screw down because when I do it puts pressure on the trigger spring and the safety doesn't work I think that even though the barrel floats that when it gets warm it must be touching somewhere .New bells carlson gold medalist on the way and a good bedding job:D

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts