Savage action for 7mm STW

RBlevins

I have a savage barrel that is chambered in 7mm STW and wondering if Ill be able to use a standard long action with a magnum bolt or if I need to try and find the action magnum action? Any advise appreciated.

??? are you referring to large shank or small diameter?
Well i would suggest getting a professional opinion rather than one like mine from the internet.
But that said, Savage makes both short and long shank actions in both magnum and standard non magnum calibers.
I believe it has to do with thread length and not diameter of the action.
But again, check with a more reliable source.

Well i would suggest getting a professional opinion rather than one like mine from the internet.
But that said, Savage makes both short and long shank actions in both magnum and standard non magnum calibers.
I believe it has to do with thread length and not diameter of the action.
But again, check with a more reliable source.
I've been gunsmithing for awhile and never heard of a different length barrel shank for a savage, only difference being large shank diameter and small shank diameter. My post was more concerning magazine length as to if it could be opened enough in the magazine in the standard long action to accept to 7mm STW.

I've been gunsmithing for awhile and never heard of a different length barrel shank for a savage, only difference being large shank diameter and small shank diameter. My post was more concerning magazine length as to if it could be opened enough in the magazine in the standard long action to accept to 7mm STW.
I would suggest you go to Savage Shooters. com.
Ask your questions there, there are a few very knowledgable people there who are more informed on Savage than me.

you can use any of the long actions with a mag bolthead. it dont matter all you do is mill out the the mag well opening to fit the accurate mag bottom metal with the 3.850 mags.

the 3.850 mag will get you 3.760 OAL.