Savage 112 Muzzle brake effective?

jimisbell

New to LRS. Just bought a 112 in Lapua 338. I am 83 years old and 175 pounds. Will the factory muzzle brake be sufficient? I have been shooting for 70 years but not the BIG guns. I have and shoot 45-70 and 12 Ga. How is the recoil on the 112 Lapua as compared to 12 Ga. Do I need more mitigation on the butt than the factory pad?

Quick response, if you're still shooting a 45-70, you'll be fine.
How do you plan to shoot it?
Will you have it on a bag, or shouldering it?
The brake is effective. On the line, it's loud and obnoxious. Other brakes may work better. I'm a fan of Nathan Wright's work at MB&M.
It helps tame it, starting as a heavy rifle, and could be upwards of 15# with glass.
Had a buddy who had both the 110BA and the 112. He preferred the 112 and sold his 110BA.
I shoot a 338 Edge, 13# with glass, using a MB&M 5 port brake. It's not as loud or has nearly as much side blast as my 110BA, and feels like a 7Mag to me.

Edit to add, at 83, shooting a 338 LM, I applaud you!

Thank you,
The 45-70 is more of a "shove",... not a "kick" like the 12 Ga. I dont find either objectionable,but given my druthers, the 45-70 is easier on my shoulder for a long day.
I will be shooting targets from a bench. It is way to heavy (16 pounds....empty) for me at my age to haul across country. Hell, even the hiking empty handed is a chore.....LOL. But it IS lighter than the 1919A4.
My ears are just about gone from flying propeller airplanes with the window open, and driving formula cars with mufflers that restrict noise to ONLY 103 db but I will wear ear protection.
It will be a while before I get to the range because of COVID and still looking for a range in S Texas with 1000 meter length. But I want to get all the research done while I can.

The side discharge brake on the 112 series are supposedly pretty effective (from reviews I've seen). Recoil should be way less than the 47-70, 12 gauge.

I've learned a couple long range shooting lessons the hard way. One of them is not to use a large boomer to learn with. Better to have something like a 6.5 Creedmoor for learning and practice. Lots more cost effective too.

The brake on the Savage 112 .338 Lapua works of course but there are much better designs for managing recoil. I swapped mine for a Muzzle Brakes and More 3 port self timing brake and there is a noticeable difference, as in better. Put a 4 port on and you'll probably get a little more reduction. Nathan from MBM is on this site. If you're into titanium then Salmon River Solutions makes a good brake, Ken is on here too. I ran them two against each other and they we very comparable, one a bit lighter than the other.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.