savage 111

ftipton

Ha out there this is my first time for this so lets get started. I have just purchaced a savage 111 long range hunter in 338 lapua it has 1-9 twist so i got for starters the 285 Horandy and the 300 Berger i was just woundering what powder ? I have just got some Retumbo and cant find where to start. Any one out there willing to share a starting point would be good. I Guess i should update my reloading books.THANKSgun)

Welcome to LRH by the way. I have one as well. I'd suggest starting with factory (Lapua/Lapua ammunition) to break in the barrel following Savage's recommended procedure, then work up some handloads.

That way, you actually get some quality reloadable brass. There are brass issues in the .338 caliber, notably Hornady and PPU.

JMO.

Thanks, I reload for everything i have and just wanted to get started. if you have any data for hand loads that would be a good start.285 gr and 300 Berger is what i want to start with.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.