Savage 111 LRH (7mm Mag) Muzzle Brake Help?

Longshot404

Hey guys! This is my first post, so I'll start by saying it's nice to meet you! gun)

Here is my dilemma, I plan on purchasing a Savage 111 LRH in 7mm Mag (and by 'plan on', I mean already paid for, but haven't picked up yet). I plan on using this rifle for some hunting, but mostly as a range rifle (I learned how to shoot with a Savage 110 BA in .338 Lapua, so I've always been super partial toward Savage).

The one thing I would like to change right away is the factory muzzle brake. It has an 'on/off' feature, which is neat, but not really something I need. Both in the field and at the range, I prefer a muzzle brake, so having something I can toggle off isn't really needed for me. I would love to remove the factory brake and put on another one (side-directing brakes for the win). I've heard different things about various calibers of this rifle, and I'd like to know if I can remove that factory brake.

If so, how? If it is removable, I would assume the barrel would be threaded, so if you also knew the thread pitch for the 7mm Mag version of this rifle, that would be great!

Thanks for your time
-The New Guy

I haven't had my brake off my 6.5-284 LRH but it looks to be threaded on. A call to the Savage service department will quickly get you the answer to the thread size. The other thing is that the brake will be on-off only for the first few shots and it will the freeze due to carbon build up. While brake cleaner helps to keep it working, mine has been frozen in the brake on position for three years.I just don't bother with it any more. Aside from that flaw, I will say that my LRH gives nothing up in terms of accuracy when compared to my customs. It's a great value and a sold LR rig.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.