Savage 111 LRH *help* 6.5x284

btLRH

I'm currently shooting factory HSM ammunition with berger 140's. But im wanting to reload my own to save some money and get a little experience. I would like to come up with something where i can still use the bergers and ive heard of using Hodgdon H4350. But how many grains do i start at??? If anyone has any load data on what shoots best out of the savage lrh it would be greatly appreciated if you could share your information.

Thanks,

btLRH

I just started with my LRH and I'm hoping to use Retumbo with a 215 primer. Many guys on here are very knowledgeable with this round. Try the google search function in the top right of the page.

thanks. that google search thing led me to another post which gave me the information that i needed. now i can hopefully get something done!

With 140's, I prefer H4831SC and either Fed 210M or CCI BR2 primers.

Lapua brass is hands down the best for this cartridge.

Have a look at the 6.5x284 page on 6mmbr.com

-- richard

I have a Savage LRH in 6.5x284. Two loads that deliver sub .5MOA groupsin my rifle. Using Berger 140 VLD's, COAL at the lands is 3.19".

59gr. Retumbo , Fed 215 Primer, 3000FPS
53gr. H4831sc, Fed 210M Primer, 2940FPS

Both loads: Berger 140 Hunting VLD's seated .075 off lands,Lapua Brass, Fl sized, neck at .292" OD.
You should start a couple of grains lower than my data and work up watching for signs of pressure. My rifle does not show pressure signs with the above loads.

I'm new at this. Should i just load a few rounds under ur data and try that then work up. and also what would you consider signs of pressure?

I'm new at this. Should i just load a few rounds under ur data and try that then work up. and also what would you consider signs of pressure?

For 59 gr load I would load I would load 3 or 5 rounds each of 57, 57.5, 58, 58.5, 59. You can test group size with each load and chronograph them if you want as well. For pressure, look for difficulty, or changes in opening the bolt and check the primer to see if is flattened out with a firing pin hole that appears to look like metal is flowing up into the firing pin hole, rough to the touch and appearing like a moon crater. I'm sure you can search on google for pictures of this effect.

Ok man thanks. i wont be able to do any of this for a while. kid in high school cant afford much haha. but ill take all this information and use it when i get the chance. and i guess if i have any other question i might look u up. And if there is anything else you think i should know go ahead and elaborate. Thanks!

I have a Savage LRH in 6.5x284. Two loads that deliver sub .5MOA groupsin my rifle. Using Berger 140 VLD's, COAL at the lands is 3.19".

59gr. Retumbo , Fed 215 Primer, 3000FPS
53gr. H4831sc, Fed 210M Primer, 2940FPS

Both loads: Berger 140 Hunting VLD's seated .075 off lands,Lapua Brass, Fl sized, neck at .292" OD.
You should start a couple of grains lower than my data and work up watching for signs of pressure. My rifle does not show pressure signs with the above loads.

Hi, I noticed you seem to be familiar with the Savage 6.5 x 284. I have never owned a savage but i am looking into building a long range hunting rifle that will kill black tail at an average of 600 yrds. I am liking the 111 for 750 brand new. Do you shoot just the stock gun off the shelf?

Hi, I noticed you seem to be familiar with the Savage 6.5 x 284. I have never owned a savage but i am looking into building a long range hunting rifle that will kill black tail at an average of 600 yrds. I am liking the 111 for 750 brand new. Do you shoot just the stock gun off the shelf?

Yes it's bone stock. I am impressed with this rifle. Shoots as well as my custom. Second time out with it I shot a 5 shot group, 1 1/4" at 500 yards.

Yes it's bone stock. I am impressed with this rifle. Shoots as well as my custom. Second time out with it I shot a 5 shot group, 1 1/4" at 500 yards.

That is impressive. I am a hug RUM fan but they are barrel burners. I keep getting mixed reviews, people say the 6.5 x 284 is a barel burner than i hear it is not. what is your opinion? also is it hard to get brass and bullets for this gun. I am looking at 140 grn burgers. What do u use? Thanks for the feed back.

That is impressive. I am a hug RUM fan but they are barrel burners. I keep getting mixed reviews, people say the 6.5 x 284 is a barel burner than i hear it is not. what is your opinion? also is it hard to get brass and bullets for this gun. I am looking at 140 grn burgers. What do u use? Thanks for the feed back.

The barrel burner BS which is believed by many people to be conventional wisdom, originates from the Benchrest/target crowd. They are used to mild target calibers that go a couple of thousand or more rounds of barrel life. They love the superior ballistics and light recoil of the 6.5-284 but the price paid is barrel life, 800-1000 rounds. Also, they consider the barrel burned out when the groups open from .2MOA to .5MOA They shoot them very hot which accelerates barrel wear. The life of a 6,5-284 barrel is no worse, and usually better than most all the popular magnums that people use for hunting. If you don't shoot it hot it should go 1000-1500 rounds. Brass and bullets are readily available. It very easy to load for and in my opinion is one of the most inherently accurate cartridge designs out there. I use 140 Berger Hunting VLD's in the 3000FPS range. Put that bullet in the boiler room and it kills medium sized game dead in their tracks from 50-1000 yards. You won't be disappointed if you take up this cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.