Savage 111 long range issue

I have the same rifle same caliber too. I was having the same problem my first two shots were toughing dead center and the next three were an inch right in a nice little cluster. I went home and check the barrel to see if it was free floating. Come to find out the tip was touching so about three minutes with a dremel it was nicely floated. the next thing i did while the stock was off is torque the wedge to 40 in/lbs. It shoots 5 in a nickel now.

wedge to 40 in/lbs. It shoots 5 in a nickel now.

do just the long actions have the wedge because my 11 LRH doesnt have one ?

wedge to 40 in/lbs. It shoots 5 in a nickel now.

do just the long actions have the wedge because my 11 LRH doesnt have one ?

Mine is a long action and doesn't have one. I'm glad! I have another Savage Predator that has one and don't like it at all. Hard to work with, weak looking, and in my opinion, it doesn't make any difference in accuracy compared to the aluminum block.

i wounder why some have it a some dont ?

My owners manual calls them a 1st and 2nd generation Accustock, (first having a wedge, second without) and shows directions for dealing with both styles.

I think they just improved the design to get rid of the cheesy wedge.

I too would recommend a stronger bore solvent. I have been using Montana Extreme.

Mine is a long action and doesn't have one. I'm glad! I have another Savage Predator that has one and don't like it at all. Hard to work with, weak looking, and in my opinion, it doesn't make any difference in accuracy compared to the aluminum block.

My first 112BVss-s
had a wedge loaded recoil lug system of my own design about twelve years before Savage even dreamed it up. It made my groups a little more repeatable. Torqued all screws to 35 in.lb. with the wedge being first at about 15in.lb. Then retorqued everything to 35in.lb. in three steps. Another issue with Savages in that the rear tang needs to be free floated as well as the trigger needs clearence. I used the old style trigger and the laminate varmit stock with a few mods done to the outside as well. That rifle shot mid to high twos all the time, and would occassionally dip into the high ones (best groups were in the .185" range for five shots [ 22-250 with Sierra #1365 bullets and 35.5 grains of IMR 3031])

gary

My owners manual calls them a 1st and 2nd generation Accustock, (first having a wedge, second without) and shows directions for dealing with both styles.

I think they just improved the design to get rid of the cheesy wedge.

I too would recommend a stronger bore solvent. I have been using Montana Extreme.

the wedge works very well if done the right way
gary

P.S. given a choice I'll buy the wedge everytime

O.K., no moe problemo. I filed the forend of the stock today and went to the range. I had about 6 different sets of bullets loaded to try and settled with the 140gr VLD with 49.5grs of H4350, BR2 primers, and Lapua brass. It is 3080fps avg and my BIGGEST group was just under .5", the average was .44". Thanks for all of the help and info.

O.K., no moe problemo. I filed the forend of the stock today and went to the range. I had about 6 different sets of bullets loaded to try and settled with the 140gr VLD with 49.5grs of H4350, BR2 primers, and Lapua brass. It is 3080fps avg and my BIGGEST group was just under .5", the average was .44". Thanks for all of the help and info.

Glad to hear that go got her shooting! I really like the Savages and have several. They all shoot great, but they all needed stock touch-up to get there. They and other manufactures need to address this issue. it is quite common. My Predator 22-250 had a contact point halfway down the barrel and would shoot about an inch. After opening it up it was a one holer.

Maybe I should do that with my predator 22-250 also. Mine will shoot .75" and I always thought with it being a 224 caliber it should shoot a little better. I have 5 Savages and I love them all.

I seem to be having some of the same issues and I have tried everything. I have floated the barrel and torqued to specs. The scope is on a pic rail with good rings torqued to specs. I still seem to have very spotty grouping in my 5 shot strings. I can almost get an inch group (unacceptable) seating about .005" of the lands. Might just get another stock and re-barrel next. Not impressed so far with savage.

I had to put around 100 rounds through mine before it started shooting. It'll shoot 1/4" groups all day long now.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.