savage 110: which stock?

Bigeclipse

Sorry for the different threads I have going but I am looking for different answers separate from other topics. I am building a semi custom rifle off a savage 110 action for hunting only. I am stumped at which stock to get. Max would be 400$. I will use this rifle in many shooting positions, prone, sitting in a blind, using shooting sticks etc. It will need to fit slightly thicker barrel. Another member suggested a .75 tapered barrel...I do not think I will be getting a crazy thick bull barrel since I will have to carry this rifle sometimes in the field but I do not want a really thin barrel either. I do not care about color but was hoping for black. Also looking for aluminum bedding as I will most likely not have the rifle bedded... at least not at first. No gunsmiths around where I am to do it. Open to all suggestions...I looked into b and c medalist but someone mentioned it may not fit the barrel thickness I want... tried finding an HS precision but they only say for long actions with removable mag but I have a blind mag stagger feed older savage action. Thanks!!!

Check out stockade stocks. They make stocks primarily for savages.

thanks, I will have to check them out.

Does anyone have recomendations for stock style for my shooting needs? I have only ever shot the typical stock shape found on factory hunting rifles. I have seen all these tactical looking, or bench rest styles lately. Which stock shapes can work well off the bench, prone and off a shooting rail while sitting? I know some probably work best for one but not so well for something else, but is there a stock shape that is ok/decent (maybe not best) at multiple shooting positions?

I would look at Bell & Carlson and Choate. I would also recommend installing a Karsten's cheek rest.

Apparently the B&C for the model savage I have will not take a heavy varmint barrel. I have been looking at some of the Coates and possibly manners but those are quite expensive.

It looks like if I want to shoot a heavy varmint barrel I will either be getting a choate tactical or manners...(probably go with the choate for costs)

Stocky's has laminate stocks that will fit I had to open the barrel channel up a little to get the bull barrel on my creedmore in it.

It looks like if I want to shoot a heavy varmint barrel I will either be getting a choate tactical or manners...(probably go with the choate for costs)

If you're worried about weight, Choate tends to be in the heavy side. Have you called Stocky's if they can open up the BC stock to allow proper clearance to whatever barrel OD you decide? It might be worth the cost.

looks like id have to pillar and bed those stocks which I would feel uncomfortable doing...

If you don't mind taking on some work yourself, you may find the results are worth it. I am working on my first DIY rifle build this year, a Savage 111 on the "Jerry Teo" concept (see the article listed on the side of the homepage of this site). I was very nervous about doing the bedding myself, but it turned out to be sort of like ripping off a band-aid: when you are done, it wasn't nearly as bad as you had been expecting. I have Boyd's Tacticool stock, which is more or less the style your are looking for. It did involve some woodwork, as the inletting wasn't an exact fit to the receiver. The bottom metal fit flush, but there was too much wood between the bottom and the topside for the action to rest on the pillars. Some dremel work, floorwax as release agent, and JB Weld later:

Attachments

• DIY Savage paint and assembly 7.19.14 004.JPG
    DIY Savage paint and assembly 7.19.14 004.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 52
  • DIY Savage paint and assembly 7.19.14 015.JPG
    DIY Savage paint and assembly 7.19.14 015.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 91
  • DIY Savage paint and assembly 7.19.14 002.JPG
    DIY Savage paint and assembly 7.19.14 002.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 58
Bell and Carlson or h-s in the m40 style rifle. It will allow for all the positions you want with a little better defined pistol grip, but not completely vertical like a tac stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.