savage 110 tactical desert

vitaminado

hello
I'm looking for a caliber for fox and varmints, with low recoil and bullets that work well with the wind.
For ranges of about 800 yards
I've thought about 6mm creedmoor or some 6.5
What do you think of the savage 110 tactical desert?
What caliber do you recommend?

The cartridges I recommend is 6mm Creedmoore. It has 7.5 twist 26" barrel.
Mine is a tack driver!

Glad its looking good. You should be able to count the groves or lands on the front and see what rifling it has.

I know some like them, I just could not get into the new stocks. I got one Savage with the Thump Hole Feather Weight (BTH in Savage lingo) and converted the other two (they came with low grade stocks and I planned on it - as noted, got em for a good price)

Mine are all laminated, which is a composite though people tend not to think of them that way.

I still like the older Savage receivers with the Top Bolt release.

Boyds stocks are good Savage Sources, the two I have were perfect fits. The Prairie Hunter is what I call super grip and Boyds calls a Prairie Hunter I believe.

I got to try that type in plastic and liked it much to my surprise. Felt as good as the TH.

Oddly the Featherweight Laminate is my favorites even with a Bull Barrel it just feels and shoots better.

How do you like it now? I like the price but it is heavier than I want. I'm thinking about a different stock. Does Savage have options?

I have one in 6mm creedmoor it is a tack driver with 115gr bergers the adjustable butt pad and check piece is nice only thing I don't like is the action mine is a little ruff

The PTG bolt's make them tighter and smoother but the price ($185.) is on the steep side. A good smith can also do a lot for rough sliding bolts including the spiral fluted factory ones that are a rough fit on some guns.

Thanks I am thinking about selling mine I picked up a bergara b14 hmr 6mm creedmoor at a good price so I am breaking it in now it has the smoothest action I have ever seen on a factory rifle

Just bought a Savage 110 Tactical in desert tan. Haven"t even got to shoot it and this covid 19 crud is getting in the way. Let you know how it does whenever I get a chance to try it out. Even the ranges around here are shutting down! With the rebates Savage was offering and my Scheels gift cards, got it for about 350 NIB.

I know you already made your decision but here are my first couple of break-in groups from my Savage with factory ammo.

Attachments

• 20200404_085131.jpg
    20200404_085131.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 112
  • 20200404_085222.jpg
    20200404_085222.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 108
  • 20200404_085311.jpg
    20200404_085311.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 118
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.