Savage 110 Flat Back Safety Stopped Working

Shane Lindsey

Good evening,
Curious if anyone has had this happen or know the fix? Did some googletubing and adjusting set screws, over travel, safety engagement, and now I am out of Schlitz...

Charge the bolt, place on safe, pull the trigger, firing pin drops. I have had this before with light sear engagement and had to work that into propper functioning. This is outside my non-gunsmithing know how.

This older flat back has been hard to find parts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shane

Good evening,
Curious if anyone has had this happen or know the fix? Did some googletubing and adjusting set screws, over travel, safety engagement, and now I am out of Schlitz...

Charge the bolt, place on safe, pull the trigger, firing pin drops. I have had this before with light sear engagement and had to work that into propper functioning. This is outside my non-gunsmithing know how.

This older flat back has been hard to find parts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shane
Shane,

Double check the safety and overtravel. The video is a replacement instruction for an RB aftermarket trigger; see ~19-minute mark. It might help you troubleshoot.

Good luck!

Ed

Thanks.

I did look at this and tried a few other sites.

No joy yet.

May try and find a new/used trigger group and see if it will work.

After changing barrels and having work done, this rifle has become a problem child.

Shoots well though🤔

Thanks.

I did look at this and tried a few other sites.

No joy yet.

May try and find a new/used trigger group and see if it will work.

After changing barrels and having work done, this rifle has become a problem child.

Shoots well though🤔
I have a few older Savage flat-back actions and never have any safety issues until I have the trigger pull too light. You might have a combination of problems- troubleshoot one issue at a time.

You mentioned re-barrel and other work done, what are they?

Removed the 338 Sherman and replaced it with a 6.5 Creed.

Had it bedded and inletted for the Proof and it came back boogered. This trigger/safety issue. Feeding problems (corrected with a new box, follower, and spring), but thought it should have been caught by him. The GS that did the work wasn't seeing the issues. He told me he would make it right, but since he didn't see them and he let it out of his shop, I cut my losses and chalked it up to another guy in the "list".

You tell me…

B3C2A8E0-CFC3-4373-B2B4-0CF5D6A0F586.jpeg
1A486562-4FAD-4B2E-84D0-65D6B74A398C.jpeg

As for the safety issue, I have not adjusted the pull weight. I don't know the pull weight now.

Maybe I will tighten it up a bit and then try to adjust the sear, over travel and safety again. It is pretty light( nice) trigger. Any heavier and it may not shoot as well.

So last night I adjusted the trigger pull weight. Then attempted to adjust the safety. Still not joy. Trigger weight is a little stiffer, but not crazy heavy. The safety actually is rising up/vertically when the trigger is pulled. Looking at the mechanics, there does not seem to be anything that forces it down/ holds it in position. The screw on the safety seems to force this rising motion as does the safety screw on the trigger itself.

Appreciate the guidance...keep it coming. I have to be missing something.

without actually having it in hand it is tough to tell but it sounds like they didnt get the safety locked into position properly when they reinstalled the trigger.

there is a retaining clip on the safety that locks around the silver pin that you can see in the side if the trigger housing on the video. if it gets on top of the pin instead it will not allow the safety to work properly and more than likely letting it rise up when pulling the trigger.
you can try sliding that pin out and checking but most likely the trigger has to be reinstalled

Tracking that clip on the safety lever. I have taken it off and tried to adjust it a little. It is riding under as it is supposed to (as much as my non GS can tell). May be time for the melting pot...

Recent Posts