Savage 110 custom build - 7mm Valkyrie

Simply badazz ... thanks for sharing ... and for the inspiration!

Ed

Attachments

• thumbs-up-sign-thumb8413541_zps85645168.jpg
    thumbs-up-sign-thumb8413541_zps85645168.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 51
Congrats on a great innovation!

Would you mind including an old, plain-Jane 7mm RM round in the comparison?

Your 7mm Valkyrie looks like a real winner as it nudges the edge of performance increase/excessive barrel wear. Well done!

Thanks. I would have included a 7RM in the photo on the second slide in my original post but I don't have one.

We'll see on the barrel throat life for the Valkyrie. Jim Briggs at NSS told me not to expect more than 800 rounds. I guess that's not terrible since the ballistics are approaching 7RUM which has shown throat lives as low as 400 rounds.

Anyone know typical throat life for a 7STW being run at the max pressure (66k psi)?

That's going to depend on how hot you get it. Throat life it a very subjective discussion.

Can you burn it up in 400 rounds? Absolutely, it you get it hot & keep shooting.

Can it last 2 or 3x longer than that? probably, as long as you mind your manners with it.

t

True. I generally obey my "throat life conscience" during shooting, even with traditionally long-life cartridges.

For example, it took me about 2.5 hours to touch off these first 25 Valkyrie shots. I didn't let it get much more than "very warm" to the touch, no where near what I would call hot. Versus with a sporter-type barrel, I figure the heavy barrel is even hotter at the actual throat surface than the exterior where I lay my hand.

The heavies take longer to heat up but also longer to cool back down.

If I get 1000-1200 rounds before the groups open up, I'm perfectly satisfied with considering the overbore nature I'm dealing with.

Chuckhammer,

Looks like a really nice rifle and sounds like a great build. How was the action fit to the stock? I have been looking at buying one of the choate stocks just like what you have but it is for one of the L/A stevens 300WM. Did you have to do any machining or removing of material to get the action to fit or was it pretty much a drop in fit. I also have a new barrel to install on the action as well. But more curious about the fit of the action to the stock. Thanks for any reply or info you can supply...gun)

Chuckhammer,

Looks like a really nice rifle and sounds like a great build. How was the action fit to the stock? I have been looking at buying one of the choate stocks just like what you have but it is for one of the L/A stevens 300WM. Did you have to do any machining or removing of material to get the action to fit or was it pretty much a drop in fit. I also have a new barrel to install on the action as well. But more curious about the fit of the action to the stock. Thanks for any reply or info you can supply...gun)

All Choates I've worked with utilize an aluminum bedding block, no machining or fitting required.

t

Chuckhammer,

This is a great question as I too am looking at beginning a build. I'd like to save $ where I can and not compromise build quality so please comment!

I've read about this stock in various forums and it looks like a great bargain with what you get. However, it's often met with less-than-enthusiastic comparative responses by the McMillan/Manners crowd.

Chuckhammer,

Thanks.

I think your Stevens long action and my Savage 110 are the exact same receiver. My stock (Choate Tactical, model 250604) should fit your rifle just fine.

No fitting of any kind was needed. It has a full-length aluminum bedding block that runs from the forend tip all the way back to the rear action screw. It's pretty stiff. The stock alone (no bipod adapter, magazine, trigger guard, action screws, etc.) weighs just under 4 lb (3 lb 15 oz on my scale) as it comes out of the box. For $210 shipped from CombatStocks.com, I am very impressed.

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure which savage you have but my mag box stays with the action when it is removed and is considered a staggered feed....I pulled this from another site......(Center Feed is when you remove the action from the stock and the magazine stays in the stock. Stagger Feed is when you remove the action from the stock and the magazine box stays attached to the receiver)...
I suspect mine needs to be the 250614 which is the staggered feed. But the infor you gave me is some really good. I have been trying to narrow a stock down for my rifle that I want to put together. It's going to be regular 7mm rem mag with a heavy 26 inch barrel. I already have a 300ultra so something a little smaller would be nice. If I would of new about the 7mm-300WM prior to ordering the barrel then I probably would of went that way. But is sounds like the envelope on the WM case has been pushed a little more again. Great to here about the different mods to the 300WM case. Thanks again...

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure which savage you have but my mag box stays with the action when it is removed and is considered a staggered feed....I pulled this from another site......(Center Feed is when you remove the action from the stock and the magazine stays in the stock. Stagger Feed is when you remove the action from the stock and the magazine box stays attached to the receiver)...
I suspect mine needs to be the 250614 which is the staggered feed. But the infor you gave me is some really good. I have been trying to narrow a stock down for my rifle that I want to put together. It's going to be regular 7mm rem mag with a heavy 26 inch barrel. I already have a 300ultra so something a little smaller would be nice. If I would of new about the 7mm-300WM prior to ordering the barrel then I probably would of went that way. But is sounds like the envelope on the WM case has been pushed a little more again. Great to here about the different mods to the 300WM case. Thanks again...

Correct, if the mag stays in the stock after the action is pulled then it is a centerfeed, which is what mine is. Apologies as I didn't realize center vs. staggered was the concern. I'd already forgotten about that distinction.

From what I've read, the real-world MV difference between 7RM and 7-300WM with identical barrels shooting the 180 Hyrbid is about 200 fps. Call it a 150 yd advantage.

RL-33 burn rate ??? don't see it on the chart. I use Returbo is it close ???gun)I like this little guy !!!

RL-33 is less than a year old, I believe, so it hasn't made it onto many burn rate charts as yet. It's a touch slower than Retumbo.

Here are some notes I took during my first shooting session with the Valkyrie using 180 Bergers seated to touching or nearly touching the lands:
- 86 gr RL-33 / 3240 fps / smooth primers / small shiny mark on case head
- 81 gr Retumbo / 3100 fps / cratered primers / larger shiny mark on case head

Good question. The only thing I saw regarding this is the Savage stainless actions are apparently sometimes too soft and the bolt lugs will peen the action metal. But I didn't really dig into it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.