7mm build on a savage 110

MTLIVIN

So I've read and read all over this forum for a few years now, and finally decided to build a 7mm on either one of my two 110 actions (300 win & 6.5x284) or buy a stevens to rip apart instead of a perfectly good rifle.

Is there any advantage to building a 7mm weatherby over a 7mm Rem without chambering it with freebore? I am limited to 3.49" COAL with stock magazines and don't want a smith bill to extent it out. Intend to push 168 or 180 bergers fast and accurate and don't think the typical freebore in a weatherby would help accuracy. I have considered the other 7mm mags, but the brass availability has turned me off on most of them. Would it make any more sense to do this on a 700 action instead? The savage definitely does not have the aftermarket support of the 700, but the barrel swap is nice!

PS, this is for a lighter weight hunting rifle and plinker for 800+

Thanks!

I did something very similar. Stevens donor action, changed out bolt head to 7RM, put on the $100 rifle basix trigger, sitting on a B&C stock, Vortex Viper HS LRH 4x16 with Pacnor prefit 26" Sporter contour barrel with vias brake. Barrel was 1x9 twist and told them to use a reamer that would let me load mag length with 180 Bergers to the lands. Gun shoots really well out to 1000 which is farthest I have shot it. I did have accuracy go away at about 300 rounds and after much consternation discovered it was carbon in the throat. Got it out and accuracy is back and when I am doing my part it's 1/2 MOA.

I did something very similar. Stevens donor action, changed out bolt head to 7RM, put on the $100 rifle basix trigger, sitting on a B&C stock, Vortex Viper HS LRH 4x16 with Pacnor prefit 26" Sporter contour barrel with vias brake. Barrel was 1x9 twist and told them to use a reamer that would let me load mag length with 180 Bergers to the lands. Gun shoots really well out to 1000 which is farthest I have shot it. I did have accuracy go away at about 300 rounds and after much consternation discovered it was carbon in the throat. Got it out and accuracy is back and when I am doing my part it's 1/2 MOA.
I like your setup, that's about exactly what I plan to build!Already have the same trigger and scope, will buy the same stock and a pre-fit 26" barrel. What velocity were you able to get with the 180's? Also, as my rifle will be so similar, do you know the finished weight of your rifle? I hunt a lot in steep high elevation so I'm trying to keep it pretty light.

I get 2920 with 68.5 gr of H1000 Win Brass and Fed 215's. It weighs right at 9 lbs. you could shave off a little weight with aluminum Rings as I have steel TPS rings.

Is your 300 too heavy? Otherwise I couldn't think of a good reason to break down either rifle.

My 300 is actually lighter than my 6.5, which is why i used it on my Mt goat tag this fall, that and for ****ed off grizzlies!

I really enjoy the 6.5x284, but I PERSONALLY find it a little on the light side for long range deer, and would prefer the knockdown and ballistics of a 7mm, often I have an elk tag in my pocket while deer hunting and the 6.5 stays at camp. On the plus side, it will only take me about 30 minutes to swap out barrels so I can still have a 6.5 & 7mm! :)

My 300 is actually lighter than my 6.5, which is why i used it on my Mt goat tag this fall, that and for ****ed off grizzlies!

I really enjoy the 6.5x284, but I PERSONALLY find it a little on the light side for long range deer, and would prefer the knockdown and ballistics of a 7mm, often I have an elk tag in my pocket while deer hunting and the 6.5 stays at camp. On the plus side, it will only take me about 30 minutes to swap out barrels so I can still have a 6.5 & 7mm! :)

You're going to have to swap bolts or bolt heads between the 284 and mag.

Your 300 will do everything the 7rm will do and more. I'd esp want the 300 if I have an elk tag. If you are dead set on the 7rm (or better a 7-300 or stw) and you swap your own barrels you can just pick up a barrel and change between 300 and 7mm.

In fact I have a factory 7mm barrel, 1x brass, and some new dies if you're interested.

Ohiohunter, yeah forgot about the bolt head on that last post. I called Kevin at Stockades stocks today and after talking with him i think Im set on a new build 7mm WSM with 26" Benchmark barrel and his Hunter stock (he has the brass for his customers). I will keep my 300 but likely sell the 6.5x284 to pay for the build. So if anyone is looking for a great 6.5 that consistently shoots 1/2" groups with 140 VLD's just let me know. I was going to use the 6.5 stainless 110 action for a 7mm build but just cant get myself to take apart a rifle that shoots light out, will regret selling it prettymuch instantly, but need the $ for this build.

MTLIVIN,

I had been mulling over the almost same scenario.

I have two Savage 112's, an older, flat rear receiver in .300WinMag (BVSS) that shoots 208gn A-Max's and 210gn Berger Hunting VLD's unbelievably. I have added a muzzle brake, Sim's recoil pad and Rifle Basix Trigger. This thing is now a ***** cat, even while launching these pills at 3070fps.

My other rifle is a newer, round rear receiver (Accu-Trigger) in 6.5-284 Norma. It also started life as a BVSS but I swapped the stock out for a VLP and had it bedded. It launches the 140gn A-Max at 3040fps almost boringly to within a 1/4" of the same point of impact time after time (read as "one ragged hole"). :)

I have actually come full circle. For the last two weeks I have been pouring over the internet and this site, looking up all the info I could find on the heavy hitters in the aftermarket barrel arena. Finally decided on a 28", 1-8 twist, Sendero contour from either Pac-Nor or Lothar Walther in 7mmRemMag. The older rifle was going to be the victim.

Then, before I could submit my order, that little voice talked me out of it. I decided I'll wait till the barrel's accuracy heads South before I swap it. Too much good left in these barrels to spin them off now.

Good luck with your build. Let us know how it turns out. JohnnyK.

Update: finally dropped some coin and have all of the parts and pieces in hand or on order. I decided to sell my used 300 mag as-is and bought a cheap Stevens LA for the build instead. For the barrel I ordered a 26" 7mm Rem Mag Benchmark 1:9 #3 sporter, which will be throated to my magazine loaded 180 bergers. Stock will be a Manners EH3 with blind mag for weight savings and strength (recommended by Tom Manners), and the trigger is a Rifles Basic. Spent more than I was planning, but you guys would understand that :)

Just happened to stumble across a steal on a new McGowan 300 Wim Mag barrel in savage shooters and now have a 24" sporter to throw on if I feel the need to step-up for a moose or bear hunt sometime.

Now I just have to pick out a scope and wait until June for the stock.... the anticipation is killer.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.