Savage 110 conversion

Dnk9444

I have a savage 110 detachable magazine in 308. I wanna convert it to a 6.5prc. I've searched and found info on doing this but I wanted to be clear before I attempt this. I know I need to swap to a magnum bolt head. I know I can use a WSM magazine. Anything else? I see the LA Magnum bolt head online.

What intermediate action are you talking about Stiltsville?

OP......Three ways to skin your bolt issue. Buy the standard length(7/16 long lug) magnum bolthead from PTG. Machine the long action magnum bolt head nose to the short action nose length. Buy a short action magnum complete bolt. The factory SA magnum bolthead is 1/8"(9/16 long) longer lug than the standard bolt head and requires a different firing pin along with it. Therefore, you could buy the SA bolt head and a short action magnum firing pin. That ends up being for but the last option may be hard to find. I don't know. Set your firing pin protrusion at .035" to .044".

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I had read sorta conflicting info on that. Thanks for the clarification. I saw you can get a complete bolt on midway but won't be in stock until august.

The Savage Axis is kind of an intermediate length action. They are all the same but the short action has the bolt travel reduced. The long action isn't long enough to take a long action AICS magazine so it's an oddball. MDT makes chassis but they use shorter magazines that MDT is the only source of. I have that setup so I can long load 284 Winchester.

1591977273215.png

My point being is that It is not desirable as an Intermediate action or for anything else. There is no reason to look for one or purchase one of those gen 1 short actions. Stiltsville was offering bad information.

I have Gen I,II & III. Stocks aren't impossible to find, but you need to know what action you have, exactly. Accurate Mag also makes bottom metal & magazines for Savage too.

Gen I: I'v two, SSS Fiberglass composite w/ full aluminum bedding block (223 Rem heavy), relatively light, awesome stocks, 1 one is available, if anyone needs one

Gen II: I'v a Choate Tactical blind box(6.5CM heavy), solid plastic (heavy, sturdy) w/ a full length bedding block, excellent and a bit on the heavy side 3.5lbs, You want a stable Sav stock and not a chassis guy, get this and the price is great. [have also for SAV110 and Rem BDL]
Also: An XLR Element Gen1, (6mmCM bull) that if I remember, will also fit Sav GenI short, but it was discontinued and XLR has the Element 3.0.

Gen III: I'v an MDT Oryx, pimped with all options for an FV (25CM bull), it's heavy.
My 10BA Steath (6.5CM) came with MDT LSS chassis. It's alright, change out the crap stock & grip asap.
Also: Boyds thumbhole laminated, waiting for an action.

My point being is that It is not desirable as an Intermediate action or for anything else. There is no reason to look for one or purchase one of those gen 1 short actions. Stiltsville was offering bad information.
I own one and use it, my opinion and stangfish's post are the correct info on this. It will cause you more trouble than its worth.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts