savage 110 .243 to 7mm or .300 wsm?

alright thanx guys. now i've got an even dumber question i'm sure. what is the center feed action. does that mean it feeds directly from a detachable mag opposed to a staggered feed from a blind mag? is it a different type of bolt face or is it jus tthe way the it loads?

All the new model Savages(can't remember when they started, the last year or two) are centerfeed. The bolt isn't different. It's the way the mag, blind or detachable, is set up. On the blind mag models the mag is attatched in the stock itself, I think. If you can pull your action apart with the mag attached there are numerous aftermarket stocks available. There are only a few for the centerfeed. It's got to do with the action bolt/screw spacing. I can't remember what the exact spacing is. I think you can look on Sharp Shooters website and it will tell you. I hope this helps.

Center vs stagger feed is the way the cartridges fit and feed from the magazine, single stacked in the center versus staggered left to right. Action screw spacing changed on the short actions when they went from staggered to center feed. The staggered feed WSM rifles were CRF and the center feed rifles are push feed. The center feed rifles are supposed to feed the short mag(and other) cartridges better. Center feed you have the option of hinged floorplate, detachable mag, as well as blind mag. There is no hinged floor plate for the staggered actions and the detachable magazine is the old style with the release button on the side of the stock.

Thanks for the info. I know that when the centerfeed came out the staggered feed stocks won't work because of the action screw spacing and the way the magazine is set up.

Bellboy, You might look into the Remington Short Action Ultra Mags. I was thinking about building a 7mmWSM until I read about the 7mmSAUM. About the same velocity and ballistics as the WSM with less powder. Price wise they're about the same. Almost identical cases. The SAUM has a longer neck and a different shoulder angle but about the same overall length as the WSM. The bolt head diameter is the same either way. Something to think about.

I reread this and realized this is a 110. Not all 110s are long actions though they did build long actions with short magazines. The early short actions were 110s also and are a different length/screw spacing than either of the later actions.

Yeah, your right. I believe they called them intermediate actions. Savage used to make just the long actions. I think the long actions maybe the same screw spacing all together. As far as screw spacing, I think the only ones changed are the short actions. I don't have any of the new centerfeed actions to check. I'm getting ready to buy a new Stevens 200 long action in .300WM after Chrismas for my 7mmWSM project. I'll have to check the spacing out. I don't know why they couldn't just leave things alone.

I think. Crap, I don't know. I was just on Savage Shooters reading about all this.

Bellboy,

Take a look at Savage Shooters forum. There's plenty of people there that will be more than happy to help out.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.