Same camp or different ???

the blur

I've been successful on a few Elk hunts. Unit 70 Colorado, private land, I know I can get an Elk if I go back.
But it's time to move on, see something different. Not the same pasture & draw year after year.

Even if I don't get an Elk, I'll have meat regardless from deer season. What do you guys do ?

See the same pasture year after year? or explore different states, different counties, different camps, etc ??

Guess I'm about the same as Mr Richard. Spent a lot of time learning the areas I hunt. Have a great camping spot and enjoy the people I hunt with. Little long in the tooth and pretty much know what to expect in the area I've learned. But each to their own. Good luck with your adventures and be safe.

I'm a same spot guy. Unless I don't draw. I think I'm at 11 elk in 8 years, 8 bulls and 3 cows. Not sure why you'd want something new?

Ive moved camps a lot over the years and in my experience it makes it harder but you will hone more skills learning to hunt unfamiliar locations with less info. If you have access to private lands dont take that for granted but it doesnt hurt to test your abilities and skills.

I more the adventure type so I would try something new just for that reason. So depends if harvesting an elk is your goal why change, but if the experience as a whole is more important then try something new.

I would never give up a private land hunting area. If I tried a new spot it would depend on what I was killing or seeing on the private land. If I was not seeing what I really wanted to kill then I'm looking and trying new areas. If you can shoot a cow or another family member can still hunt the private and you stay able to no worry. Maybe hunt another area with a different weapon. Regardless I would make dang sure I would not loose the private access.

If you still get around well, explore new places. Back when tags were seemingly easier to come by I had found honey holes in other states and stuck to them. About 15 years ago tags to those spots became tougher to come by and I started to find other options. I have found some amazing places and while some of the hunts have been a real struggle, it has made for some experiences I wouldn't trade for anything. I do not mind eating tag soup from time to time so that part doesn't scare me away from new country, and actually a couple of my most memorable and enjoyable hunts ended with an empty cooler. There is an extra level of gratification, at least for me, to learn a new area and find success.

In Colorado you can get two tags. Use one tag one season and area, and the other in New spot and different season.

Recent Posts