Help with semi guided or drop camp elk hunt

You"re probablly better off with a guided hunt. Finding good areas takes a lot of time, especially for 5 guys. I went with Tri-State out of Raton, NM a couple of years ago. It was late in the season, but I still got a 6x7. They guide in Co, NM, and AZ.

You need to take into consideration that the success ratio in most states is 17%-18%. That does not mean that because there are 5 of you, that collectively you have nearly a 100% of one of you scoring.

Mt offers party tags, but you only get one chance per party, if you are applying for special tags. You'd be better off putting in separately. 3/15/18 is the cut-off date in Mt for special deer and elk tags. Contact fwp.mt.gov for more info. They do have a page with the success ratios for drawing tags in each hunting district. You might be better off just giving them a call. They are quite helpful.
Good luck.

Tough to start out blind. That is why guided may be the way to go. I have heard there are some good drop camps in Colorado, but may be a few yrs out.

Hello group,
I have a group of 5 guys wanting to find a decent place to hunt elk. Prefer to do a drop camp or semi guided due to cost. Also prefer private land hunts if possible. I find several on line opportunities but I'm looking for feedback from someone who has used a ranch or guide service or knows someone they can recommend. Trying not to go in blind if possible. We're looking at Colorado, Wyoming or Montana due to OTC and high draw result opportunity. Again, if you know something I don't please share. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Mike

Mike,

We have privately leased land located in Craig, Colorado which is a major migration corridor. Tags are OTC for archery and for second and third rifle. Lodging and food is included in the price and is located on the property that we will be hunting. If you would like further details please email [email protected] or call 303-548-5973.

Thank You

Mnovak - I think you are barking up the right tree with semi-guided/spike camp. You get someone to point you in the right direction and have help to pack out an animal.

No - I don't have contacts for you, but I know many different outfitters offer this.

I also agree, getting access to private land will likely cost you more. In your price range, you probably need to consider a public-land spike camp.

I do disagree with Midnight about hunter density in Colorado. I don't know where he's hunted, or his experiences, but I disagree that ALL places in Colorado have high density and you have to go far, far in to get away.

I've hunted public land, over-the-counter in Colorado for 30+ years and have said here often that I can get away from almost all hunters in the areas I've hunted, just by getting 1/2 mile off the forest service roads. Most of my bulls in the past decade have been killed 1/2 mile or less from roads on Nat Forest land.

It is true, the seasons are short, but there is usually a flurry of activity Sat-Mon, and by Tuesday 80% of the camps and vehicles have pulled out. You have the woods almost to yourself for the rest of the week - at least in units I've hunted. Plus, having some hunters in the woods isn't always bad. If they aren't in your area when you start, the first 2-3 days of activity moves them around a bit, and often will push them into your area (or you move and try new places).

I just wanted to offer a second, differing opinion before you pitch the idea. Lots of CO outfitters guide on public land and are willing to support spike camps and semi-guided. Success is still tough, but it beats going total DIY in that they should at least put you in the vicinity of elk, and you don't have to pack out a very large animal on your back.

Just my $.02

First season Colorado, Archery season. 6 days on the saw 2 people during our hunting days. Travel days we'd come across hunters and trail maintenance teams. Saw elk every other day. Saw lots of deer. Using OTC tag. Buddy got a cow on the 5th day. We were 2-4 miles deep.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.