Drop camp or similar needed!

Will83

I have a buddy that just canceled on me for an Idaho hunt and now it looks like it is up to me if I want to get a hunt done. The problem is that I am from Alabama and about to be going back to school for my Masters degree, so time is limited and I have no points for a tag. Is there anyone that knows of a drop camp outfitter that is reputable and can supply a bull tag? I contacted Canejo Canyon Outfitters in Colorado, but his unit no longer uses over the counter tags because they changed the rules. I would even settle for a nice mule deer hunt. If not, is there a reasonably priced guided hunt with tag included anywhere? I don't mind spending a fair amount for a reputable outfitter, but I don't have 10k to spend on such short notice. Is this even possible, or am I just screwed? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Is there anything specific that is forcing you to go since your buddy has dropped out? Have you ever hunted out west before? Elk hunting is tough, but doable solo if you know what you're doing. I'm afraid most outfitters will be north of $10k with tag included, a drop camp will probably be closer to $4-$5k without a tag included.

There's a private ranch up there somewhere...$10 grand will get ya a bull..but nothing extremely special...
From what I heard 20000 acres....and a place to stay at the house....up to you to get your animal....

Is there anything specific that is forcing you to go since your buddy has dropped out? Have you ever hunted out west before? Elk hunting is tough, but doable solo if you know what you're doing. I'm afraid most outfitters will be north of $10k with tag included, a drop camp will probably be closer to $4-$5k without a tag included.
I don't want to go solo because I really don't know what I'm doing because I've never been out west. My buddy was the one with all of the experience. I was going to use this as a learning opportunity. I would be willing to make a go of it solo if I could get a drop camp hunt from a reputable person because most reputable ones are at least willing to point you in the right direction. I can read a map and am not forced to go, but I've gotten the bug pretty bad for any type of hunt. Call it a midlife crisis (I'm 40 and haven't had an adventure since I was 20 and in the army), but I'm going stir crazy and will not be available for about three more years due to school and clinicals. Sorry for the late response, but my LRH acct didn't show me the notification until today.

There's a private ranch up there somewhere...$10 grand will get ya a bull..but nothing extremely special...
From what I heard 20000 acres....and a place to stay at the house....up to you to get your animal....
Any specifics? No offense, but that is a bit vague. Lol. Pm me if you think of the name. Thank you.

I don't want to go solo because I really don't know what I'm doing because I've never been out west. My buddy was the one with all of the experience. I was going to use this as a learning opportunity. I would be willing to make a go of it solo if I could get a drop camp hunt from a reputable person because most reputable ones are at least willing to point you in the right direction. I can read a map and am not forced to go, but I've gotten the bug pretty bad for any type of hunt. Call it a midlife crisis (I'm 40 and haven't had an adventure since I was 20 and in the army), but I'm going stir crazy and will not be available for about three more years due to school and clinicals. Sorry for the late response, but my LRH acct didn't show me the notification until today.
I don't blame you at all for still wanting to go. Having something to look forward to is important. I have never used a drop camp or something of the sort but I am sure there are people on this site that will have good information and direction for you. Are you hunting rifle or bow? With no points and no tag in hand (do you already have an idaho tag? You mentioned that you had planned ID, but didnt know), Colorado is about all you're looking at for a quality OTC elk hunt.

I don't blame you at all for still wanting to go. Having something to look forward to is important. I have never used a drop camp or something of the sort but I am sure there are people on this site that will have good information and direction for you. Are you hunting rifle or bow? With no points and no tag in hand (do you already have an idaho tag? You mentioned that you had planned ID, but didnt know), Colorado is about all you're looking at for a quality OTC elk hunt.
No tag in hand, but but buddy said leftover tags were doable in ID. Looking at Colorado heavily due to tag situation.

I'd say you should focus on school. Can you take a week or more off of school to go hunting during the defined season?
I'd say you should focus on school. Can you take a week or more off of school to go hunting during the defined season?
I've got a one time pre-approval from the dean of health sciences for a couple of weeks, so it's kind of a now or wait until my 3 years is up.