Sako S20 or Bergara B-14 Wilderness HMR

So you would have to send it into Sauer? Yeah I don't know that I would want a rifle like that, What if they close down their USA support?
JP SAUER AND SOHN have been making fine rifles since 1751. The thought of not doing it right hasn't occurred to this family for centuries. They are more than modest in their claims too. Triggers go lighter than they say they will and rifles shoot better than they guarantee.

JP SAUER AND SOHN have been making fine rifles since 1751. The thought of not doing it right hasn't occurred to this family for centuries. They are more than modest in their claims too. Triggers go lighter than they say they will and rifles shoot better than they guarantee.
I know these are excellent rifles, Their decision to use a pressed in barrel, Which in their case they cool the barrel, And heat the receiver and then fit the barrel. It doesn't make sense in an American market where shooters tend to expect to be able to change out a barrel whether it's shot out or they are looking at a different caliber. This is important especially with a round like 6.5 PRC, What's the first question you ask when looking at a used rifle? How many rounds have been shot through it?

Yes. Brux Sendero profile and custom fluting. It actually was $1200 for barrel and install. Bug holes was the builder.
Thanks The way it read sounded like that was just the install!?! Barrel, fluting, rebarrel $1200 makes sense I have heard Greg does great work. He has a nice selection of fluting options.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 8A566D08-2761-41CC-892D-2AB4D4C4F9FC.jpeg
    8A566D08-2761-41CC-892D-2AB4D4C4F9FC.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 95
Going well. The factory Bergara trigger is serviceable but coming from Tikka triggers it has more creep than I like so I am going to swap with a Trigger Tech. I just completed 60 rounds with initial break in cleaning 1-5 clean after every shot, 5 shots and clean and then clean every 10. Im getting sub MOA with Precision Hunter but unexplained flyers so I'm working it out. I think it needs to be shot about 20 rounds without cleaning.

Yes, sometimes a new rifle starts to shoot more consistently after a good fouling without cleaning. But I have found break-in cleaning does get the rifle to that point sooner.
I assume you adjusted the trigger more than once. I'm surprised there was any creep. My Bergara BMR steel 22 LR has zero creep. I thought the HMR would be good too.
I still believe you will find the load and bullet that will get you to half MOA or better. Optimistic about Bergara.

Last edited:
Good choice on the bergara. I have the premier HMR in 300prc and I couldn't be happier. It came out of the box with everything I wanted....adjustable trigger, 26" barrel,1:9tw, CIP length detachable magazine, rem700 foot print. I shot 100 rounds of precision hunter out of it during break in and had I used the same target all 100 rounds would have been in 1.25moa. It shot .528" with hornady match and easily shoots in the .3s with my handloads.

I know the Sako's have a heck of a lineage but it's hard to beat the aftermarket support of a rifle with a rem700 foot print.

Yes, sometimes a new rifle starts to shoot more consistently after a good fouling without cleaning. But I have found break-in cleaning does get the rifle to that point sooner.
I assume you adjusted the trigger more than once. I'm surprised there was any creep. My Bergara BMR steel 22 LR has zero creep. I thought the HMR would be good too.
I still believe you will find the load and bullet that will get you to half MOA or better. Optimistic about Bergara.

Ended the day with 80 rounds and rifle started to hit its stride after letting it foul for 20 rounds. Dialed in center punch hits at 300 and 500 (500 below) with factory ammo. Side note I've never shot a rifle with an adjustable cheek riser. It turns out my cheek weld is so ingrained shooting straight comb butt stocks that my consistency came back today when I lowered the adjustable cheek riser on the Bergara. I can't wait to build some loads.

Attachments

• 6EAFC849-89B0-483E-AECF-3380BB27019C.jpeg
    6EAFC849-89B0-483E-AECF-3380BB27019C.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 44