Sako S20 or Bergara B-14 Wilderness HMR

General RE LEE

I've narrowed down the two rifles for a 6.5 PRC. Pros and Cons for both so it's a pretty tough decision.

If anyone has experience with both of these rifles, what would you choose? I am open to ideas and opinions.

After handling the S20 multiple times and the HMR one time, I am going with the HMR.

The Sako 20 MOA mount system is not quick detach and forces one to use the Sako rings.

I've seen 2 Sako S20s that had either a very difficult to operate cheek riser or a loose magazine.

The Bergara HMR has more options since it is a 700 action. I also the heavier weight. This is going to be a double duty box blind and bench gun.

My neighbor has a Bergara, We shoot together, The Bergara is a very accurate rifle, But the stock is just straight up CHEESE! When he bought it he thought he was getting a chassis, It not a chassis, It's a plastic stock.

Me to but given a 0 base those rings will work just fine!

There are other features that have me leaning towards the Bergara. I like the extra weight, the barrel contour, customer support, aftermarket, accuracy reputation, etc. I might still choose Sako but the Bergara HMR has a good track record of accuracy.

I would trust a Tikka or Sako over the HMR version any day.
But I have tested a Premier and may buy one of those, they do actually compete quite well.
Good luck!

I don't really like the thumbhole stock on the S-20, I would choose the other stock they offer that looks more like the TRG stocks if I was to buy that rifle. They call it the precision.

1662083772105.png

I would trust a Tikka or Sako over the HMR version any day.
But I have tested a Premier and may buy one of those, they do actually compete quite well.
Good luck!

I have 3 Tikkas. Excellent rifles. The Sako S20 is a great idea but some have flaws. One S20 at my LGS has a loose magazine that rattles much like what has been described by others. Many of them don't have this problem. It appears there might be some inconsistency between rifles.

Recent Posts