Sako finnlight

Wils37

I am thinking buying a sako finnlight in7mm08. I have never owned a sako but have owned a tikka t3 and was not that impressed as when I was hunting the magazine used to rattle quite loud. Can anyone tell me if they are as good as what I've herd.

Buy a Browning Titanium in either 300WSM or even better in 325WSM.
Mine weighs just under 7 pounds with a Zeiss 3-10x42 (?) Conquest.
I have friends that bought Finlights and ended up selling them.
Very disappointed and not that light.
Your choice in the end, after all it's your money Ralph.

Thanks Ralph,

I was keen to have a look at a browning but they seem very few and far between in Australia or at least where I live in Nsw. My local Gus shops seem to be stocked by either Remington or barreta. And I must say I just sold a t3 300wsm and I think I'm for the smaller calibers now.

I see that this is fairly old, but being a kiwi myself, and using a finlight 25-06. I say yes go for it they are about as good as you can get in NZ for the price,
The mags are a snug fit and are easy to top load as well.

I rate the coopers as being a lot better, and they are about the same price, at least in Canada.

This is my first season with that rifle.

I love the accuracy, build quality and crisp trigger. I feed it Barnes TTSX 165 gr factory loads and it will shoot Sub MOA all day. Mine is topped with a Swaro 6-18 x 50 glass.

I was looking for a moderately light weight mountain rifle and this does the trick for me.

One gripe about this rifle is the stock. The rubber inserts are nice but I'm not particularly fond of the hollow sounding, easily scratched plastic / polymer. It's a compromise you have to make in a lighter weight rig.

In my experience with the Tikkas and the safety system is better on the Sako...IMO. Had a friend with an accidental discharge on the Tikka trying to unload it. I was standing right next to him. Unsettling. The Sako allows you to open the action and drop the mag without taking the safety off. Nice feature!

Lastly, the 300wsm round and Barnes copper solids just work for me. Harvested a mature bull elk at 225 yds here in AZ 3 days ago. He never took a step after the shot.

The rifle has my seal of approval but there are no doubt other great rifles out there.

For what it is worth, I've had Savage rifles in the past and would put one on my shot list if shopping today...for the price you can invest more in glass and any custom tuning you might want and still be under the price of a Sako.

Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.