Sako extractor question for smiths

James Jones

I got a couple questions
1) can a bolt face be opened up to a mag bolt face AFTER an
extractor has been installed

2) can a Sako type extracor be installed on a Winchester
push feed action ,is it work it?

JDJ,

You can open a bolt face that has already had the Sako cut for a standard bolt face but it is way more trouble and cost than it is worth.
I have never put a Sako extractor in a M70 PF, it could be done but you will have to fight poor ejector geometry. I don't think a Sako extractor would be a substantial improvement over the stock Winchester.

I agree with Shawn on this one. I will say that I have opened some Rem 700 bolt faces up that were fitted with Sakos for standard rim sizes.

One trick I tried was to drill and tap the bolt under where the Sako rests flat against the bolt body. Then insert a quality screw with high strength thread locker and let cure fully, then simply mill off the screw so that it is to the proper height for working with a Magnum sized case head. I also switched out the standard extractor for one designed for a Magnum bolt face.

I will admit that the extractor lip angle is not perfect but I have yet to have any problems with one slipping off a case rim and extractor performance seems identical with one that is fitted to a magnum faced bolt.

Its a simple trick that works pretty well if needed.

I would agree with Shawn about the Win M70 push feed, would not recommend it.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.