Question for Gun Smiths

dakor

Well boys it sounds like my Bolt for my 6mm-284 is toast. Remington will not send my smith or anyone else a bolt they want the rifle which I am not going to send a $1500 custom rig to those butchers just to get a bolt. Anyone have one they want to sell? I am looking for a REM 700 Long Action Standard bolt face.

dakor
There is a gentelman named Dave Kiff of Precision Tool and Guage that will make you one for around $150 if I remember right. I don't have a link but if you do a search you might come up with it, if not I'm betting one of the 'smiths here can hook you up.
Chris

Thanks Winmagman I found their website. They want $125 bucks for the bolt body and handle so Remington can Kiss my grits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif My smith knew someone made custom bolts for Remingtons but he could not remember the name of the company. Thanks again!!!

Dakor,

What was the damage to the original bolt that prevented it to be functional?

Not questioning anything, just curious as to what was found out on the bolt front.

Kirby Allen(50)

Fiftydriver I was on the phone with the smith yesterday and he had me take the case out of the bolt face following his instructions because he thought the same thing nothing happened just the case was stuck. Well after I got the case out I noticed right away that a piece of metal was missing on the inside rim of the bolt and it looked like there could be a hair line crack in the bolt face I did not have a magnifying glass so I can't be sure on that. The ejector was also missing a chunk of metal out of it but that really is not that big of a deal. I told him this and he said he would have to see it in person but he said it does not sound good. I have someone taking the rifle down to him this morning and I should know what the Diagnosis is sometime this morning. Well my next question is if I do end up ordering a bolt body from Pacific Tool is the Sako extractor version better then the standard REM extractor? I said the bolt was toast because I do not think he can fix it and even if he could I do not think I would feel comfortable patching a bolt back together if you know what I mean. At least when it is down there he can check the whole thing over and make sure nothing else happened. Thanks for all the help everyone!!!

Well I got the word... not good at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif The bolt can be fixed with a Sako extractor kit but the barrel is not looking good. Jerry put the bore scope in there and piece of brass took out the throat and is still stuck in there. He said he can re chamber it but I would end up with a 26 1/2 barrel and he said that it will probably only go another 600 to 800 rounds since I have over 1200 through it now. So I guess I will probably be ordering a Broughton 5c 8 Twist with a 28inch finish. Not a good time for this to happen that is for sure! F*#&!... Sorry guys I probably sound like a cry baby. I should just be happy nothing happend to me like he said it could have been my head instead of the barrel...kinda puts a new perspective on it.

A few years ago I ordered a new bolt from Western gun parts in Canada got the whole bolt for less then $100.
I have always liked the Sako Extractor better.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.