Sako-extend magazine lenght?

Glenn Tullius

My buddy has a Sako bolt action chambered in .308 Winchester. He says his bullets are seated .030 off the inside of his magazine so they fit. However, after chambering and measuring, he is still .100" off the lands! So the question is, is there anyway to fix this situation so he can use the longer bullets? The feed ramp of this Sako starts right at the end of the magazine follower.

My buddy has a Sako bolt action chambered in .308 Winchester. He says his bullets are seated .030 off the inside of his magazine so they fit. However, after chambering and measuring, he is still .100" off the lands! So the question is, is there anyway to fix this situation so he can use the longer bullets? The feed ramp of this Sako starts right at the end of the magazine follower.
Ya could just, load a long one, single shot, to see if it actually helps any.

Last edited:
The same load shot 4-5 times may go from 5/8" to 3" ctc!

This much rampant inconsistency is something other than seating. You need to see a gunsmith to have the whole rifle assessed. Apparently something is loose and moving to be this inconsistent or your reloading is inconsistent. start at the beginning and examine the simple things first.

Occam's Razor:

Occam's razor (also known as the 'law of parsimony') is a philosophical tool for 'shaving off' unlikely explanations. Essentially, when faced with competing explanations for the same phenomenon, the simplest is likely the correct one.

Take your time to examine and search!

:)

Why? Is the rifle inaccurate with bullets seated .100" off the rifling?
My Weatherby rifles have .500" freebore, making most bullets more than a 1/4" from the rifling…all 3 shoot very, very well.

Cheers.

I ran into that issue with my Sako A7 in the 300 Win Mag.The rifle is built on a medium action instead of a long action.I had to seat the bullets so deep into the case in order for it to function in the magazine,that there wasn't enough neck tension to hold the bullet in place.It was nearly .250 jump to the lands.It shot like crap.I tried one of my loads I use in my other 300 Win Mags in single shot fashion and it shot quite well.Not much I could see to do as far as extending the mag length because the action is just too short.Why the 300 Win Mag is spec. on 3.340 OAL is beyond me.Every 300 Win Mag I have usually has an OAL around 3.500-3.550. to the lands.I think it was a mistake made many years ago and many rifles are built with short mag boxes because of it.

This much rampant inconsistency is something other than seating. You need to see a gunsmith to have the whole rifle assessed. Apparently something is loose and moving to be this inconsistent or your reloading is inconsistent. start at the beginning and examine the simple things first.

Occam's Razor:

Occam's razor (also known as the 'law of parsimony') is a philosophical tool for 'shaving off' unlikely explanations. Essentially, when faced with competing explanations for the same phenomenon, the simplest is likely the correct one.

Take your time to examine and search!

:)
I did question him on that and he assured me that everything was fine. I did ask him if he torqued his action screws, and he said no, never did, no tool. I offered him mine. Would that help? and what torque value would we use? (in/lbs) He never torques his scope screws either...

Last edited: