Sako 75, 300 WSM Capabilities???

canada_kid

i currently own a sako 75, 300 win short mag and am just getting into this long range thing. I am going to throw a nightforce nxs (not sure which one exactly) on it and was wondering what i should expect with this rifle, in terms of accuracy and how far i will be able to retain this accuracy. The gun is out of the box with nothing aftermarket. i am looking to start reloading so any help with 300 short mag loads would also be appreciated. in the future i want to get a custom LR rig, but this will do for now. Look forward to any replies, thanks.

I bought a Sako 85 Finnlight last spring before looking into LR hunting. I also put a NF NSX 5 1/2 x 22 x 50 on it and then started load work. After finding max loads for 3 different bullets, I started grouping for accuracy at differnt charges with very disappointing results. Groups ranged from 2-4 MOA and I also tried 2 different facory loads with the same results. I kept the rifle through hunting season and managed to shoot 3 antelope and an elk with it at 300 yds and less.

A couple of weeks ago I took the rifle back to the dealer to return it to the factory were they will tet fire it again. The problem could be the rifle or the Optilock rings, or very doubtfully the NF scope. Some people say the Optilock rings are not up to the task of holding the NF (which weighs 2 lbs) and some say they are fine. The guy who sold me mine has a Model 75 and put the same scope as mine on it with no problems. Near manufacturing makes a rail base and rings for the 75 and they are good stuff, but spendy. $400 + for a set. We will see what the factory finds and go from there.

As far as loads, I only used H4350, Fed GM215M primers, Norma brass and came up with 65.5 max with 168 TTSX's at about 3050 and 66 max with 180 E-Tips going about 3020.

Hope you get better results.

Lot of good info here (use search) for the WSM

go to powders are H4350, MRP, H4831SC

try the 210s before the 215s most of the time.

also look at the new info here about RL17. It is hit or miss with some guns, but if yours like it, it is a screamer.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.