S1's Flash Hole Uniformer

Ian M

S1\'s Flash Hole Uniformer

I loaned the flash hole uniformer that I bought from S1 to a very serious competitive target shooter. This fellow has been shooting for a long time and he knows how to load .308 ammo for maximum accuracy and he gets it. Shoots regularly out to 1000 - hate to use the term but target-weenie comes to mind
wink.gif

Anyhow, he wants to keep the little doofingy. Like most target-weenies he is looking for every last bit of advantage he can get. He wants to keep S1's tool, is going to use it on all of his Lapua brass. Must be a good reason.
Now I have to get another, anyone else interested so we can get Sam to build a batch?
I am thinking of buying a bunch, starting up Flash Hole Reaming Depots, maybe get into franchising
smile.gif

Re: S1\'s Flash Hole Uniformer

Got one for the 223 and the large rifle primers.They help with uniformaty,especialy with lower grade brass.
Personalities aside,Sam machines out a fine product that will walk the talk.
Now if I can talk him into building one for the BMGs when he put a brake on the 50 I'll be set?
CJ

[ 07-02-2003: Message edited by: Mach V ]

Mach5,I have no doubt that he make's a good product.All I'm saying is,I don't think it would be worth my time and money to try it...

I understand a reluctance to uniform flash holes...

In fact, I enjoy taking a shower with that tiny soap bar in the hotel bathroom. I pretend the soap is normal size, and my muscles are huge...
smile.gif

When I compared two batches of Norma brass from the same production lot, with and without the procedure, the reamed brass produced more uniform velocities and lower SD's. Unfortunately we have not shot that brass since, although it is on my bench and will get reloaded for another test. My test was limited and I would be more comfortable having done it several times, but the fellow who now has the reamer has tested it extensively and he is a believer.

My partner also bought a uniformer from S1 and he alsolikes the results. He is doing all of his cases, feels that it is worthwhile.

Whatever turns your crank, I will use the little device when I test bullets etc. and want to split Irish Reds.

Boyd

As well as your rifle is shooting this year, I wouldn't change a thing.

With that being said, over the years I have tried .084", .086" and .088" flash hole reamers and really don't see a differance in the three diameters.
Reaming flash holes does make everything uniform and should be done in most cases especially if your going for the best accuracy you need.
Some of the brass you find have burrs on the inside of the flash hole that needs removed. The flash holes are not always the same diameter from the factory either. This could cause the ignition rate to change from case to case.

I will bring you a flash hole reamer to try and see if it makes a change in your accuracy of that "hot" rifle of yours.

DC
smile.gif

Hey Boyd,

I don't turn necks either and probably won't be in the near future.

I do, however, deburr flash holes on new brass. It's a one time gig and, as I use WW brass, I've found some pretty amazing obstructions. I prefer deburring simply to get consistent ignition patterns.

I also uniform as it supplants the pocket cleaning anyway. The difference in feeling the primer seat with a hand tool is definitely noticeable. Again, chasing ignition consistency.

I use collett dies and realise good concentric ammo so I don't think the intensive labor that neck turning involves would be of much benefit for my reality.

Take care.

and I'm sure as hell not going to argue with success
grin.gif

Methinks the old, 'If it ain't broke,' adage may apply here!

Yes I would agree that he is doing well. Well enough not to change things. I like the pull the brass from the bag and load it technique too. Hey Boyd I am leaving Martin home this week. I told him his head got too big to fit in the truck!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.