Boyd's thumb hole

Kentucky

New here so this may have been beat to death, I don't know. What is the general thought on the Boyd's thumbhole stocks? I have held a rifle with one and really liked it. Have read many reviews and it looks like a 50/50 proposition so far. I am fitting a Savage 111 in 7 mag.

I replaced the original Savage stock with one a few years ago on my 22-250. After I glass bedded it, it became a tack driver.

I have 4. Don't listen to those who don't have one and assume the are bad because the are not high $.

Check the fitting. A little work with a utility knife and sand paper goes a long way. Then bed at least the lug if not the entire action.

The fit suits me very well. I opened up the featherweight to sender profile with little effort.

Good luck.

I have had 2 Boyds thumbhole stocks and they look and fit nice.

I have replaced both because I felt the cheekweld was to wide and flat.

I have 2 other Boyd stocks and am happy so far with them.

Ky, I have bedded six Boyd's for friends, four were thumbhole. All shoot very well, some sub 1/2 MOA. For a very strong stock at $117 - $150, a Boyd's is the ticket. I would never have a Boyds without bedding it. Boyd's knows they have a good product and they are priced right and they sell a lot of them. I personally like their new Tacticool model which they should make available for more rifle models, they would sell like crazy. Ironically I only have Weatherby rifles which came with very nice stocks, but to friends I recommend the Boyd's. Good luck

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread, but I'm in the exact same boat as the OP. The stock that came from the factory on my 111 is horrible. I'm wanting to purchase a Boyd's stock to replace what I have, and do a full bedding job on it. I have the XP model with the detachable box magazine and bottom bolt release. On Boyd's website, it states:

"If you have a XP model with a synthetic stock, you will need to purchase the bottom metal component system through Savage or any aftermarket component supplier."

What exactly are they referring to when they say this, and where can I purchase one? A link would be awesome. Thanks guys.
:D

Here is a link to what I'm looking at purchasing.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Produ...-trophy-hunter-bbr-detachable-mag-la-fbc-pl-f

I have a Savage model 12VSS in 22-250. I bought it used and hated the factory stock on it. It was a Choate Varmint stock. It was ugly to say the least. I swapped to a Boyds thumb hole and love it. Beautiful stock, already finished. All it needed was to be pillar bedded and it's a tack driver. I did have to buy the trigger guard, as mine didn't have one. I also had to make a front escutcheon as well. Also, before tackling the project I did a lot of reading on the savage shooters forum about pillar/action bedding. Seems that the savage action prefers to have the tang free floated just like the barrel, which is what I did. Anyways, hope this helps.

I installed a Boyd's thumb hole feather weight stock for a Sako A7 300WSM. The Rifle never really shot with it's factory plastic stock. The fit and finish is perfect as I did not have to do anything. Now, since its a wooden stock the action screws can only be torqued to 40 inch pounds. I torqued the whole rifle to spec. (scope base and rings, windage screws, action screw's etc.). No glass or pillar bedding, I loaded some proven rounds and went to the range. The stock is very comfortable, it fits my hand and shoulder just right. All I had to do is install a cheek riser, I borrowed one at the range and got to business. After zeroing the scope and focusing the retactical to my vision I made sure the parallax was solid. I shot 100, 200 and 300 yard targets with unbelievable results. Boyd's Stock's are hands down the best I have ever installed and shot. Glass and Pillar bedding are my next steps which should make this thing a solid performer. Good Stuff.

PowellSixO,

CDI Percision has the bottom metal for you. CDiPrecision Gunworks

I am doing a build with a Savage 11 in .308, with Boyd's Pro Varmint and CDI's bottom metal.

Let me know if you are interested I also have schematics for doing the pillars and glass bedding. CDI also includes this in the bottom metal price if you send everything in.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.