Ryan's 243 & First Hunt

Spino

Ryan\'s 243 & First Hunt

Story from stxhunter:

well my and my son went hunting over the weekend i didn't see anything i wanted to shoot but i sighted in Ryan's 243 that i just got him for his 10Th birthday 2 1/2 inch's high at a 100 this is a pic of the first 4 shoots he fired this is only the second time he's shoot a rifle bigger than a 22 not bad i thought better than his uncles that claim to be good shoots anyways i decided to let him hunt by his self yesterday evening put him in the tree stand by the tank told him if i heard him shoot i would come help him so i went to my stand and worried if i should of left him on his own about 5:30 i heard a shoot but it sounded like it came from south of where he was at so i stayed in the blind about 15 minutes later i saw him coming up the sendero holding his arm needless to say i almost panicked i thought he had fallen or worse yet shot himself in the arm somehow so i ran to where he was at to see what happened turns out a doe came to the tank to drink and when he tried to shoot her he got a bad case of buck fever and forgot to get the stock snug against his shoulder and got kicked pretty hard we went to see if we could find any blood but i didn't he was shaking so bad he missed but now hes more determined to get that doe next time we go if you got time maybe you could post that pic for me still haven't figured out the picture thing yet heck i still type with one finger thanks Roger Hunter (stxhunter) [image]
ryans20target.jpg
[/image]

What a great father/son experience. Thanks for sharing!

Re: Ryan\'s 243 & First Hunt

Congratulate the little fellow for me. He's tough to stay on a tree by himself. I Do suggest, though, that you be with him on the tree specially on his first hunt!

I probably should have its a pretty big tree stand with a double seat and a rail with a sturty ladder. like you said I should of stayed with him but I thought I would give him the chance to hunt on his own he's hunted with me in my blind last year and some this year. I think he did pretty good didn't try to climb down with his gun made sure it was unloaded and on safty before he came to get me and I know it was tough for him to walk to my stand by himself without his gun he worrys about the hogs. Ryans got a lot of common since for a 10 year old he's a strait A student he really loves to hunt . I think hes going to become a good hunter and a good shoot that said next time we go I'll be with him because I think if I had sunday I would have been able to calm him down and coached him a little and we would have been posting a pic of him and the doe instead of talking about a miss

I wanted to start my nieces and nephews out on a .243 for deer. What is the kick of an 8 pound rifle like with ~95 grain bullets?

stxhunter,

Just a thought here. I would probably zero the gun in @ a 100yds for Ryan. Maybe keep his distance to about the same when shooting a deer/hog. Your right about sighting the gun in for MAX point blank range, but until he get's over the buck fever the little guy needs to have every accuracy advantage on his side. What kind of gun did you get him after all?

its a mossberg 100atr youth model inexpensive but shoots good i could keep under one inch at a 100 with rem 100 grn core locs i'll rezero for 100 most of his shoots hunting at the tank would be less than 75 yards the one thing i don't like about this rifle is the stock no recoil pad I'm going to have Joel Russo make me a stock for it

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.