Rust preventative for your presses?

For lubing up my presses, I tend to use a white lithium grease as well. It has worked extremely well for me!

Seconding berdiemc from above, for rust prevention I use EEZOX. It has worked extremely well for me, even on old blued rifles that are put their fair share of weather when taken up to snowy mountain hunting camps.

All of my firearms go through a deep cleanse of EEZOX when they get to me. Then they'll get the occasional spray and wipe down when I see fit or after heavy use! I've also used it on reloading dies before, with nothing but good outcomes.

When I needed rust preventative (in other locations)...I used Rust Inhibiting Grease (aka RIG) Universal Gun Grease; my other choice would be Brownells Rust Preventative No 2. We now live in Cache Valley Utah were it is dry unless it is raining and that is not often. In May our wettest month we get a little over 2" of precipitation

I inherited my grandfathers Hornady LnL AP last week and it has some surface rust on it as well as rust on the powder drop. I talked with Hornady's customer who advised me to disassemble the press and powder drop and treat any affected areas with Naval Jelly and fine steel wool. So that's on this weekends list of projects but I am looking for a preventative to prevent this from happening again after I get the rust taken care of.
I had a couple of different suggestions from local gun store workers from WD-40 and PB Blaster to Marvin's Mystery Oil (the guy was super adamant it was the greatest stuff ever) and white lithium grease....honestly none of those sounded like good suggestions (but I could be wrong). Wondering what out there is proven to be a good lubricant/rust preventative to presses?

First and foremost I would be cautious about putting any lubricant on the powder drop/measure as it can cause the powder to stick/clog up in the measure. PB Blaster is a great lubricant, however I cannot stand the smell of the stuff especially getting it on my hands. I'm thinking any light gun oil like RemOil or WD40 (I use either) ought to do the trick. For storing anything that I don't want to rust, especially my guns, I use "RIG" and a RIG rag/shammy on all of the metal parts. I am surprised that no too many people know about the product. The entire setup, RIG and RIG rag, will cost about $30 and will last a couple of years. I have one particular rifle that I do not shoot much at all, keep it inside of a padded gun case, inside of the safe. All of the metal parts have a good coating of RIG on them including inside the barrel. This rifle has been stored like this for years, never a spec of rust on it. I suspect that your friend was talking about Marvel Mystery oil, that stuff has a thick base and probably not too good for your application. If you are going to be using the equipment I would suggest RemOil or WD40 to prevent rust on your press and lubricate the press at the same time; and, if you are going to store the equipment I would strongly suggest RIG. Good luck with your weekend project.

First and foremost I would be cautious about putting any lubricant on the powder drop/measure as it can cause the powder to stick/clog up in the measure. PB Blaster is a great lubricant, however I cannot stand the smell of the stuff especially getting it on my hands. I'm thinking any light gun oil like RemOil or WD40 (I use either) ought to do the trick. For storing anything that I don't want to rust, especially my guns, I use "RIG" and a RIG rag/shammy on all of the metal parts. I am surprised that no too many people know about the product. The entire setup, RIG and RIG rag, will cost about $30 and will last a couple of years. I have one particular rifle that I do not shoot much at all, keep it inside of a padded gun case, inside of the safe. All of the metal parts have a good coating of RIG on them including inside the barrel. This rifle has been stored like this for years, never a spec of rust on it. I suspect that your friend was talking about Marvel Mystery oil, that stuff has a thick base and probably not too good for your application. If you are going to be using the equipment I would suggest RemOil or WD40 to prevent rust on your press and lubricate the press at the same time; and, if you are going to store the equipment I would strongly suggest RIG. Good luck with your weekend project.
I find Boeshield to be effective and reliable. Spray it on then either leave as is, or wipe down to leave a finer, thinner coating. This was developed by Boeing to protect aircraft parts in storage. It is a wax base.

I like this product, use it on all my firearms, it sprays thick like grease than wipes dry easily. Have used it for years.
image.png

Where do you get it ?
I see it at Bass Pro Shops in the boating sections, the same at Academy or any marine places that sell boats. I've used it for years on my boat and equipment in saltwater. They have one in a red can specifically for guns but I stick to the marine as it works especially for long term storage of your firearms.

First and foremost I would be cautious about putting any lubricant on the powder drop/measure as it can cause the powder to stick/clog up in the measure.....
I can agree with that. Thought about picking up a tube of automotive door lock lubricant with is essentially graphite powder in a tube to lube my powder drop mechanisms but the pins and connecting bars outside the powder drop are really the only parts that are showing rust. From a preliminary inspection last night it looks like the pins and connecting bars are safe to lube with something like a white lithium grease or a WD40 as they have no contact with internal powder mechanisms at all.

I inherited my grandfathers Hornady LnL AP last week and it has some surface rust on it as well as rust on the powder drop. I talked with Hornady's customer who advised me to disassemble the press and powder drop and treat any affected areas with Naval Jelly and fine steel wool. So that's on this weekends list of projects but I am looking for a preventative to prevent this from happening again after I get the rust taken care of.
I had a couple of different suggestions from local gun store workers from WD-40 and PB Blaster to Marvin's Mystery Oil (the guy was super adamant it was the greatest stuff ever) and white lithium grease....honestly none of those sounded like good suggestions (but I could be wrong). Wondering what out there is proven to be a good lubricant/rust preventative to presses?
Use it that's the best rust preventive you can get

I see it at Bass Pro Shops in the boating sections, the same at Academy or any marine places that sell boats. I've used it for years on my boat and equipment in saltwater. They have one in a red can specifically for guns but I stick to the marine as it works especially for long term storage of your firearms.
Thank you !
Isn't that a daisy ? :)

I can agree with that. Thought about picking up a tube of automotive door lock lubricant with is essentially graphite powder in a tube to lube my powder drop mechanisms but the pins and connecting bars outside the powder drop are really the only parts that are showing rust. From a preliminary inspection last night it looks like the pins and connecting bars are safe to lube with something like a white lithium grease or a WD40 as they have no contact with internal powder mechanisms at all.
Graphite powder is a great idea for the powder measure, I also use the stuff for lubing the inside of my case necks before sizing them.

Graphite powder is a great idea for the powder measure, I also use the stuff for lubing the inside of my case necks before sizing them.
Where do you source yours from? The only place I've ever seen it is autoparts stores and Wal-Mart and it comes in the tiniest tube I've ever seen. I doubt I need much but I'd like to have a bigger tube on hand for the future.

I swear by WD40 as a rust preventative. I have carbon steel components that were treated back in the 70's with no signs of rust.

Wide-spread experience with old WD40 is that it has no place on anything you care about, esp for medium to long term protection.

Still, some folks report the WD40 PRO version is pretty darn good.
I have no experience with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.