Rust preventative for your presses?

Where do you source yours from? The only place I've ever seen it is autoparts stores and Wal-Mart and it comes in the tiniest tube I've ever seen. I doubt I need much but I'd like to have a bigger tube on hand for the future.
Walmart or Lowes has this one. A little bit goes a long ways.

df3a56b1-c1bd-4d19-81ea-b9a518298e51_1.8a13c3cf95ceb26240b5fdf800da0868.jpeg

81sVJBZXIkL._SY879_.jpg

I have an old Belding mull powder drop that I've had for years have always used spray graphite on it bought at autoparts store spray and let dry never had an issue can will last for ever had a man who has ran a trap shoot since the 60s he told me about tests that were run using g96 gun lubricant and protector he said it protects really well against rust I just started using it maybe the rest of you have some input on it. David
I`ve used G96 for decades, i`ve never had a gun rust using it.

Looks like it's from the makes of PB Blaster! That stuff is a god send working on vehicles. I'm already sold.
I dont know, but i`m sure there are tons of names out there that have it made by the same vendor, as most just add their own label and sell it to the public as the next best snake oil with different perfumes to make you think you`ve got something different. If you want to know what is different between each brand, read the ingredients.

One thing i will NEVER recommend, is plant based lubricants. Its nothing more than cooking oil with some peppermint added to it for the people that think its the next new greatest guru snake lube. (or is it frog poop)

The man that told me about the g96 said they took several lubricant rust prevntitives and sprayed new steel with them and let hanging on a fence and g96 steel was only one that didn't rust be good stuff if it works that good. David

The man that told me about the g96 said they took several lubricant rust prevntitives and sprayed new steel with them and let hanging on a fence and g96 steel was only one that didn't rust be good stuff if it works that good. David
AMEN to THAT! I`ve never found anything better for the price and availability, either.

I have an old Belding mull powder drop that I've had for years have always used spray graphite on it bought at autoparts store spray and let dry never had an issue can will last for ever had a man who has ran a trap shoot since the 60s he told me about tests that were run using g96 gun lubricant and protector he said it protects really well against rust I just started using it maybe the rest of you have some input on it. David

I have use that as well. I like it for the moving works of guns or tools. The fact it doesn't attract dust and dirt id a big plus to me. I have so many different cans or tubes of lube to grease a battle ship. I am always looking for something new to try, I do look for recommendations from users before I buy......well at least sometimes

I inherited my grandfathers Hornady LnL AP last week and it has some surface rust on it as well as rust on the powder drop. I talked with Hornady's customer who advised me to disassemble the press and powder drop and treat any affected areas with Naval Jelly and fine steel wool. So that's on this weekends list of projects but I am looking for a preventative to prevent this from happening again after I get the rust taken care of.
I had a couple of different suggestions from local gun store workers from WD-40 and PB Blaster to Marvin's Mystery Oil (the guy was super adamant it was the greatest stuff ever) and white lithium grease....honestly none of those sounded like good suggestions (but I could be wrong). Wondering what out there is proven to be a good lubricant/rust preventative to presses?
CRC SP-350 is good stuff. Long term lubricant and rust preventative. I got it on Amazon . It smells good too.

There are a number of lubricant/rust inhibitors mentioned. Here is one I use:
Marine tuf cloth by Sentry Solutions. Claim: micro bonding, oil free, for extreme use saltwater & storage....tested and used by Navy Seals. My observaion is it stops rust but smells from the volatiles in it.

I inherited my grandfathers Hornady LnL AP last week and it has some surface rust on it as well as rust on the powder drop. I talked with Hornady's customer who advised me to disassemble the press and powder drop and treat any affected areas with Naval Jelly and fine steel wool. So that's on this weekends list of projects but I am looking for a preventative to prevent this from happening again after I get the rust taken care of.
I had a couple of different suggestions from local gun store workers from WD-40 and PB Blaster to Marvin's Mystery Oil (the guy was super adamant it was the greatest stuff ever) and white lithium grease....honestly none of those sounded like good suggestions (but I could be wrong). Wondering what out there is proven to be a good lubricant/rust preventative to presses?

The only thing i use WD40 on, is to coat my harley engines as a winter corrosion protector. By springtime when i get my bikes back out to ride, just a quick degreaser, i`m rollin down the highways with a clean sparkling engine. I have no other uses for WD40 other than that. WD40 evaporates pretty quick. And its film does not last long.
For your Harleys ,ACF-50 ,$$$, made by Lear mil-spec,great where dissimilar metals are in contact.I use it on RC cars,bikes,guns,electrical, etc.Nothing compares to it when used on rusty truck lug nuts if let soak for a bit. Aerosol cans waste a lot.Buy it in the bottle.It doesn't take much.I found out about it when making a delivery to a contractor on an army base,they uses it on helicopters,seams,riveted areas,etc.

For your Harleys ,ACF-50 ,$$$, made by Lear mil-spec,great where dissimilar metals are in contact.I use it on RC cars,bikes,guns,electrical, etc.Nothing compares to it when used on rusty truck lug nuts if let soak for a bit. Aerosol cans waste a lot.Buy it in the bottle.It doesn't take much.I found out about it when making a delivery to a contractor on an army base,they uses it on helicopters,seams,riveted areas,etc.
Thank you, i`m going to look into that!

What I do with high carbon sTeel knives:
Polish the steel as good as you can, etch it in a light acid " vinegar will work if left a couple hours" rub down with 3 in one oil.

Or you can look up the recipe for
" Eds Red gun cleaner" It will cut through most surface rust and leave an oil film on the surface.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.