RUM Freebore

jhilsen

The freebore in my new factory 7mm RUM Sendero seems excessive to the point I can't seat a bullet to touch the lands. Its still fairly accurate (3/4" at a hundred with minmal load development). Clymer lists .220" freebore for their standard 7mm RUM reamer, but about half that for their 300 RUM reamer????. I realize its purpose is to reduce pressure/increase velocity, but wondered what freebore those of you with rebarreled guns were using. Could any of you with match barrels in RUM (any caliber) chambering comment on how much freebore (if any) your using? Thanks.

I have a .338/300 RUM pac/nor ss match 10 twist 30" length that has .5" freebore and so does five of my friends and they all shoot
sub min some will even shoot better than that.Velocity is great and the pressure managable, freebore is not a bad thing in my book.

Wow, this is an old post. However, I still would like to know the posters answer.

I have about .40 freebore in my stock 7rum...I ordered a PT reamer with .20 in the hopes of reaching the lands with a new barrel someday. Now I am pondering safety questions if this is a good idea. I have this reamer begging to be used. Going to wear out factory barrel first.:)

My 180Vdls are .25" from the lands with little less than 1 moa on most days.

Yeah really...u know what they say about assuming:rolleyes:

I did find out about the free bore last may...then I ordered the new reamer. I thought it was just a Remington/lawyer thing and now come to find out it is part of the design. Maybe, I should not be attempting to touch the lands or maybe just getting closer with the .20 reamer tighten it up. Got the primer issue figured out so my velocity picked back up to around 2980-3000.

All in all, my accuracy is very livable but, who could complain about it getting better lol.

My ol 270 took a fat Forky this fall....u been out shooting that new stick?

Let me know next time you want to shoot...my 308 needs some love.

I am getting ready to try some 168gr bergers, a guy here on the board is going to send me like 20 to try, I also need to get some magpro powder.
Along with other stuff. I found an awesome target to buy, my wife lost her job and she cashed in her 401k so I am going to get a couple of things for reloading. I have shot some 140gr accubonds thru it and some 162gr amaxes thru it, those amaxes behind some H1000 powder are pretty accurate. I really want to get out in the cold weather and see how it shoots and then compare it to when it warms up. I didn't even get to hunt this year but still harvested a big fat doe. Got some elk meat coming my way too. I made the mistake of checking out a nightforce scope at cabelas and I want it now.
I think we should take both chrono's and compare accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.