rugers?

I think that the biggest problem with Rugers is their barrels , every one I have seen fouled like a bad pipe. I have seen a few customes that were built of Ruger actions and they shot as good as any Rem built properly.
Being their a controled round feed action their not as easy to work on but they do make fine guns.

I reciently just put one together for a friend its an older tang safety in 7mm mag , I replaced the trigger with a timeny unit , piller bedded it in a nice older stock and free floated the barrel , it will shoot around an inch with every factory load he puts in it , accuracy falls off fast after about 6-10 rounds and needs to be cleaned but other than that its a great deer gun

my ruger 77 tang safety 300wn mag should be done soon was sent off to get teflon coated its been trued new hart 26 inch #5 contour barrel and mcmillian sporter stock new trigger set at 11/2 lbs when i get back i'll post pics and results after i get it broke in

Dang I missed the everybody group AGAIN /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
The recoil lug can be tricky to get bedded properly and there have ben barrel issues through the years but they make a great huntin rifle. I have ben buying Savages as of late but the Rugers aint leaveing!!

rugers.jpg

My Go-To 22lr for prairie dogs
DSC00525.JPG

10-22-1.JPG

Rugers use to out source their barrels and usually bought the barrels by the cheapest bidder. That usually means that their not buying the best you can get. When they went to making and using their own hammer forged barrels they became a lot more consistant in their product and by and large Rugers became a lot more accurate. That said I will say this. I have owned the Ruger 77V's for years and never had one I could say had a problem with the barrels, usually it was a problem with bedding. After bedding most of the Rugers I owned they became just as accurate as any other factory rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have owned several M77's and never had a problem.Like most factory guns it's luck of the draw.My old .338 is a moa rifle.My KM77VT 25-06 will shoot .5 moa amd it's only had the trigger tweaked.It has been good enough to take rock chucks out to 1200 yds!!

My new 7mm08 has a bore that is slicker than snot on a doorknob. And the LC6 trigger is great too. Shoots better than 1MOA and I haven't worked up good load yet. Must be a fluke. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I use to own quite a few of the old stainless/synthetic ones and I"ve shot and played with at least half a dozen ranging in calibers from .223 to .300 Win Mag.

I would have to say, after a trigger job and reloads, every single Ruger would do 1" at 100 yards...Thats not to bad for a $450-500 rifle, IMO. Now the 1 thing I dont like about there magnum models is that they are barrel heavy..

My first 25-06 was a Ruger MKII, S/S, w/muzzle brake, trigger worked down to 3#, leupold 6-18 target. It was a sweet shooting Ruger, I'll tell ya that much. I tried everything in it, and with what it liked, it would do .5" at 100 yards, just like any Remington would...Its got my 2nd longest deer kill at 604 yards w/115g NBT's..And quite a few coyotes between 400-500 yards.

Rugers I hear are a PITA to build off of, so thats pretty much why I got rid of mine, and haven't bought any more. The last Ruger I bought was a .220 Swift varmint, laminate stock, 26" heavy barrel. It shot superb..I was wondering if I should've went with the Remington VSSF, but its about $200 more and its not guarantee to shoot any better then the Ruger. I doubt it would have anyways...

Rugers have been pretty good to me. I"ve never really experienced the bad fouling as others. I use to clean my 25-06 every 40-50 rounds, sometimes longer, but like someone said, buying factory rifles is all luck of the draw, I think I've gotten pretty lucky to have half a dozen Rugers shoot 1" or less at 100 yards...

thanks for all the info. the reason i asked was im in the process of building a 243AI on the varmint version and just wonder if there is anything i need to look out for. thanks again, huntinfool18

Old tang or VT? Either way just make sure the action clears the stock on the backside,a gap is not a bad thing behind the rear tang! Brownells sell a set of Pillars that realy help with the bedding process.
Was going to AI the 22-250 but decided to stay with the standard chambering throated for the 75Amax. Had to take a lot of wood out of the Boyds stock to get it to bed properly but it shoots great...even though the smith didnt thread it straight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Had to shim the rear ring hard to get the scope to line up.
Wish Burris still made Z rings for the Rugers as it would make scope mounting a LOT easier.
22250ior.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts