Ruger SFAR 308 first impressions

Okanogan

I recently picked up a new Ruger SFAR 16 inch barrel 308 and am posting some first impressions for anyone else who might be considering one. As background, I picked it up for a woods gun for western MT that would have the capability to take deer, black bear and maybe elk that roam beyond the back yard. Because it is also grizzly country, I wanted a semi-auto for potential defense situations. I wanted something different than the long range first focal plane scope setups in the safe.

I mounted a Sig Sauer Tango MSR 1x10 on the SFAR and took it to the range for the first time yesterday. I shot Norma 150 gr factory fmj target ammo and my own hand loads of 150 gr sst over 44.5 gr Varget. The barrel break-in went much easier than I expected with less copper fouling than I've experienced with my Bartlein barrel equipped rifles. The SFAR's 100 yd accuracy met my expectations with the factory ammo averaging about 1.5 MAO and my hand loads performing a little better at just over 1 MOA. The rifle cycled properly with no problems with the adjustable gas block on the #2 setting. Unsuppressed, the SD for my handloads was running in single digits.

After 25 rounds +/- I switched over to using a Dominus suppressor with the gas block on the #1 setting. The rifle continued to function flawlessly with my handloads. My SD increased with the suppressor and my muzzle velocity went up 40 fps. My groups improved slightly and tended toward two touching with the third flyer making the overall result still about 1 MOA.

I expected to hate the rifle's stock trigger. It has some short initial pretravel that I don't like but then breaks crisply with a trigger pull that doesn't feel heavy. I'm picky about my triggers so I will still change it out for a Trigger tech but the factory trigger is good enough that I'll wait for them to go on sale so I don't spend 1/4 the price of the rifle on an aftermarket trigger.

The rifle looks very much like an AR15 and nobody at the range thought it was a AR10. With the smaller receiver it won't take my AR10 bore guide for cleaning. I used a 300 BO bore guide instead but it was looser than a normal bore guide fit up.

Overall, I am happy that the rifle/ scope combination seems to meet my goals for a fairly light and compact woods autoloader.

Last edited:
thanks - great review. I am curious how it shoots w/ no brake (way too loud) and no can - recoil and noise. I will probably run the 20" w no can/brake. I also expect I will put a scope on and run offset irons (magpul pro offset). Great elk/hog/black bear gun.

I have only hunted .308 bolt but this looks too good to pass up.

My only real concern - will the light chamber / BCG hold up to .308 pressure?!

I guess only time - and luck - will tell?

Time will tell on the wear and tear issue. I have another AR10 308 if I want high volume and I only really bought the SFAR for hunting so not too worried.
I took the rifle out this morning in the woods and thought it handled easily with the Dominus can on.

I never shot the rifle with the OEM brake as I installed a TBAC CB brake. I didn't take any real notice of either recoil or muzzle blast during my range trip. However, my most commonly used hunting rigs are magnums with brakes. If you're normally a 5.56 shooter, I'm sure the recoil will be noticeable.

One additional comment to add to the review: in my opinion the charging handle isn't easy to use with a low mounted scope. I tried a different charging handle from a custom AR15 upper and it made a big improvement. I'll be changing out the OEM charging handle right away.

thanks - makes sense and I will look out for the charging handle …

I shoot .308 bolt - never minded recoil but obviously only shoot ~10-30 rounds at a range - sight in and practice. I'm 6'2" and 230 lbs so not worried about shoulder - but am hoping target re-acquisition isn't a total PIA, especially a charging hog or bear lol. Even w ear pro I hate how loud brakes are - my tinnitus doesnt need to get worse lol. Thanks

I recently picked up a new Ruger SFAR 16 inch barrel 308 and am posting some first impressions for anyone else who might be considering one. As background, I picked it up for a woods gun for western MT that would have the capability to take deer, black bear and maybe elk that roam beyond the back yard. Because it is also grizzly country, I wanted a semi-auto for potential defense situations. I wanted something different than the long range first focal plane scope setups in the safe.

I mounted a Sig Sauer Tango MSR 1x10 on the SFAR and took it to the range for the first time yesterday. I shot Norma 150 gr factory fmj target ammo and my own hand loads of 150 gr sst over 44.5 gr Varget. The barrel break-in went much easier than I expected with less copper fouling than I've experienced with my Bartlein barrel equipped rifles. The SFAR's 100 yd accuracy met my expectations with the factory ammo averaging about 1.5 MAO and my hand loads performing a little better at just over 1 MOA. The rifle cycled properly with no problems with the adjustable gas block on the #2 setting. Unsuppressed, the SD for my handloads was running in single digits.

After 25 rounds +/- I switched over to using a Dominus suppressor with the gas block on the #1 setting. The rifle continued to function flawlessly with my handloads. My SD increased with the suppressor and my muzzle velocity went up 40 fps. My groups improved slightly and tended toward two touching with the third flyer making the overall result still about 1 MOA.

I expected to hate the rifle's stock trigger. It has some short initial pretravel that I don't like but then breaks crisply with a trigger pull that doesn't feel heavy. I'm picky about my triggers so I will still change it out for a Trigger tech but the factory trigger is good enough that I'll wait for them to go on sale so I don't spend 1/4 the price of the rifle on an aftermarket trigger.

The rifle looks very much like an AR15 and nobody at the range thought it was a AR10. With the smaller receiver it won't take my AR10 bore guide for cleaning. I used a 300 BO bore guide instead but it was looser than a normal bore guide fit up.

Overall, I am happy that the rifle/ scope combination seems to meet my goals for a fairly light and compact woods autoloader.
Glad it's working out for you, but the sfar concept is redundant I feel. Doesn't save weight nor lop/oal. If sfar was an in between the 15 and 10 as far as cartridge length/mag size goes, then yes it would be a good concept (I feel that way anyway). Mag design for coal of 2.400"-2.600" other than using ar10 type 2.800" or m118 mags. This way it doesn't have a long feed of a 1/4" or shorter cartridge. Typing this made me come up with a good solution not open for discussion.

One additional comment to add to the review: in my opinion the charging handle isn't easy to use with a low mounted scope. I tried a different charging handle from a custom AR15 upper and it made a big improvement. I'll be changing out the OEM charging handle right away.

I read an article on your rifle. The DI setup is a big plus. I was surprised that the charging handles are the same size as a AR15. My ar10's have considerably larger charging handles and no way interchangeable.

Mine are gas guns, but have no problem cycling 60,000 + psi rounds without any flaws. I only have 20 and 24 inch to help out the 308 win FPS. This 24 has a forward weight bias that you don't have. 2.5 pound trigger and SS match barrel 8X32 with 60mm objective. It's my low light specialty pig gun.
ar10.jpg

Last edited:
Just picked one of these up myself. Got the 16" version to use in the mountains of WV stalking deer bear and coyote. So far I'm happy with it have yet to work up a load specifically for it but it shoots 168amax with 44gr rl15 inside an inch @ 100yds. Weighs 7.7 lbs scoped and feels exactly like an ar15 in balance.

Congrats! Thanks for sharing - so far I'm hearing mostly good things about the SFAR (a couple of complaints about sloppy BCGs). I'm hoping someone shoots it with the brake off to see how jumpy the recoil is (follow-up shots). I want it in 20" (a few oz more) w/no brake or can. It could be both my long distance rifle and bush gun.

Just picked one of these up myself. Got the 16" version to use in the mountains of WV stalking deer bear and coyote. So far I'm happy with it have yet to work up a load specifically for it but it shoots 168amax with 44gr rl15 inside an inch @ 100yds. Weighs 7.7 lbs scoped and feels exactly like an ar15 in balance.
Wow! That is light. My Ruger SR556 weighs 2lbs more.
F719B488-4CD7-4924-918E-776C109E73F1.jpeg

I'm thinking (OK, hoping?) the 20" Ruger SFAR would shoot just fine with that rifle length gas system - similar to a light bolt action - without that boomer brake. What do ya'll think? I'm not worried about my shoulder - I'm wanting to know how tough to get follow up shots without a brake. Anyone? Thanks!