Ruger Hawkeye build

straightshooter

I want to build a do all 308 on my Ruger Hawkeye All Weather. I know it is not the most popular action to build on, but is their any reason I shouldn't? I've found a smith on this forum willing to true the action and replace the barrel. Once that is done, I will replace the stock with a Benchmark thumbhole from Richard's microfit stocks, and I have had no problems with the leupold 30mm rings that I am currently using. This is a strong, reliable action, and I can't see why it should shoot any worst than any other, or is there something that I am missing? Just want some input before I move on this.

I don't see why you would have any problem with the build itself. I am in the final stages of a pre-hawkeye 77 mk II build. So far, it is going well. I still need to do some bedding work before I get down to barrel break-in and load development.

From information I have gotten here on LRH, I have learned that one of the things on a Ruger that deserves particular attention is to ensure that the action is properly seated in the stock and that the action screws are torqued properly. If you do a search for Ruger you should have no trouble finding more specific instructions on this.

Good luck with your build!

Thanks for replying benchracer. I am very interested in your build. Do you have any more info you could share with me ie. caliber, barrel, stock, trigger, and when you get around to it, how it shoots (accuracy, balance, recoil etc). I would actually love some pictures if you have the time.

My Ruger started life as a left hand 30-06. My original intent was to build it into a 6.5-06. I had planned on a Pac-Nor barrel and a stock from Accurate Innovations. For various reasons, I ended up going with 6.5-284 Norma (I replaced the follower to ensure smooth feeding), a 26" #4 Krieger barrel with 5r rifling, and a Ruger factory gray laminate stock.

I intend to top the rifle with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 with Rapid Z 1000 reticle. I chose the Rapid Z 1000 reticle before I realized that it is designed for .308 trajectories. I probably would have been better off going with a Rapid Z 800. However, I want to experiment with the reticle a bit before I decide whether or not to go with something else.

I haven't messed with the factory trigger yet. I want to shoot the rifle first. If I feel the need, I may replace the trigger with a Timney (they seem to be the only ones who make a trigger for the left hand actions).

I haven't shot it yet. I still need to finish pillar bedding the action and some slight tweaks are still needed in the barrel channel to fully free float the barrel. Another thing I intend to do before shooting my rifle is to apply Brownells Gunkote over the parkerization already on the barrel.

Krieger trued the action, installed the barrel, and parkerized the barrel for me. They do really nice work. Unfortunately, Krieger has since changed its policy and now only does factory work on a few models of actions. The Ruger is no longer on the list.

After I ordered the #4 profile barrel, I had second thoughts and wondered if I had chosen too heavy of a profile for a rifle that I intended to carry in the field. That was part of the reason I chose not to go with a custom stock from Accurate Innovations. I didn't want to go to the expense of the custom stock if I wasn't sure that I would be happy with the set of compromises I had gone with. Instead, I ordered a factory laminate stock (I had already sold the original walnut stock off in anticipation of ordering a custom stock. If I hadn't done that, the laminate would have been totally unnecessary.)

As it turned out, I really like the laminate stock. It is slim at the fore end and the pistol grip and just feels right. I temporarily put the action in the stock and mounted the scope to get an idea of how the complete package will feel and handle. The #4 profile barrel ended up being a good choice. It does not have the overly heavy feel of a varmint rifle. It feels just barely heavier than a normal sporter. It balances with a very slight muzzle heavy feel. Just enough for a steady balance in the off hand position. I think that I am going to be very happy with this rifle.

Where pictures are concerned, I haven't taken the time to figure out how to post photos and I have yet to take any photos of the rifle. I guess that I will just have to fix that. When I get it finished and put together, I will see what I can do.

Whats wrong with the Hawkeye the way it is?
Bedding a stock to the Ruger action can be challenging at times, the newer actions are easier than the old tangs but still?

Machv, the only thing wrong with my Ruger, I find the balance to rear heavy and when shooting prone off a bipod I get to much barrel jump. I love the rifle, but I am getting serious about shooting long range and would like a semi-custom rifle and I don't see why this rifle wouldn't work, I love crf and since I already have one well.....I actually am liking this decision more and more.

Thanks for the extra info benchracer. I am very interested in your build. My rifle is the Hawkeye all weather in a 308 winchester, and I was actually thinking of changing it to a straight 284. So the fact that you went to the 6.5-284 intrigues me. I didn't want to change up to much for fear of function problems, but it seemed to work for you. I will also be using the factory stock for awhile. One day I will get a Richards microfit benchmark thumbhole but I am in no hurry. I contacted a smith willing to work with my Ruger and he uses Brux barrels so I will probably go that route. I already had a local smith work over my trigger, and he did a great job on that so I will be using the factory trigger. The barrel will be 26" in a 1-11", probably a varmint profile (I don't mind some weight to my rifles). It is starting to come together, I may have sold one of my other rifles to finish funding this little project. Kind of getting my hopes up.

Machv, the only thing wrong with my Ruger, I find the balance to rear heavy and when shooting prone off a bipod I get to much barrel jump. I love the rifle, but I am getting serious about shooting long range and would like a semi-custom rifle and I don't see why this rifle wouldn't work, I love crf and since I already have one well.....I actually am liking this decision more and more.

Just checking to see what you had in mind for it. I had an old light tang 243 that I rebarrel to a heavy 8 twist 22-250 and put it in a Boyds stock. Its a shooter and is a lot better off the bench than the old 243 but sometimes I miss that old light 243.
No reason not to go with the Ruger action you have, it just takes a little different attention than other actions.
There is an old Ruger wich I think is a Richards stock in the safe waiting for funds to replace the damaged 308Baer barrel with a 338 Edge.It was a good shooter before and hopefully will be again with the barrel swap
rugers.jpg

Machv, now we are talking!!! Love the collection. Is that the Ruger target model on the bottom. If so what caliber is she and how does she shoot? I heard that those rifles have pretty sweet triggers.

Last edited:
The bottom one is a VT in 223. Was my main doggin gun for many years. After 6500 rounds it still shoots ok but it now belongs to a hunting buddy who really likes it! In its prime it took a few dogs out past 600 yards but its just a 200 yarder these days.
I use to be a true Ruger fan but have found Savages much easier to get and keep shooting.

Yeah, and cheaper. My rifle build may be going a different direction. A buddy pointed out to me, I could buy a prefit barrel, 308 bolt head for my savage 7mm wsm and get a stock for about the same price as a Ruger build. Another upside to that is I would only need one scope, one stock, and one bipod. I still love the crf rifles, but in the end accuracy is all that really matters.

The Hawkeye makes a great short range/truck gun and a guy should have at least one handy at all times.
Good luck with your one scope, one stock, and one bipod idea with the Savage.......That was my thoughts with the first Savage:D

09outandabout%20070.jpg

Another J action and a Striker have since been added along with a dozen or so extra barrels :cool:

Machv, all I can say after reading your posts and seeing the pictures is, "I have to work more overtime!". I really do love my little Ruger. It has become my go to rifle, and when I go out hunting anything elk size or smaller, it will be the first rifle out of the safe. As far as a general hunting rifle goes, I think my Ruger is near perfect. I have owned this rifle longer than any other. That is why I'm considering customizing it a bit. The Savage rifle is growing on me the more I shoot it, but I just don't think it is quite the rifle the Ruger is. The versatility and accuracy of the Savage is great though. What is a guy to do, maybe I will just customize both:D

Overtime is over-rated...exept when its too cold and/or too much snow to shoot! My favorite pastime is reducing the prairie dog population=Hard on barrels.
Haveing been where you are a few times I would do no more than rebarrel the Hawkeye and shoot it. The Savage is a lot cheaper to turn into a long range unit and will probably be a little less agrivateing, the 7WSM would be a great calibar choice?
Less is more sometimes.....Sometimes I'm tempted to sell all but two gun, I just cant decide on wich two to keep:D One things for sure I'd be a better shot!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.