Ruger ar 556 scope and ammo

Waynard

Hi fellas, just picked up a Ruger ar 556 and I'm looking for a scope for hunting, nothing fancy, just good for shots out to 200 yards. Also any thoughts on factory ammo for the same setup. The barrel has a 1 in 8 twist. I'll be hunting deer most of the time.
Thanks

Nikon P223...I own one. It's awesome. It gets me out to 400 yards reliably with the BDC, the clicks are loud, positive, repeatable, and it's super clear. Got my first bobcat on a hunt in Georgia with it at 60 yards (super long range I know :D). Good scope for $200.00. Cant help you on ammo. I shoot primiraly 55 grain up to 78 grain in my 1:7 twist in my SW MP15 rifle. 55 grain Remington, federal, and Winchester are at about 1.5 MOA of average performance.

Federal Premium Ammunition - Rifle

A quote:

The crux of the issue is: Will the .223 Remington perform in a suitable manner to reliably penetrate through both lungs of the whitetail that you intend to hunt, at the range you intend to hunt them, from angles at which you're comfortable shooting? It depends.

Since we're dealing in facts—not what grandpa told you—let's reexamine the .223 Remington's real capabilities. Much of what the great hunting magazine gurus wrote decades ago, and what we often take as gospel, was made obsolete by the innovation of modern premium bullets. My preferred deer load for the .223 Remington is the ASYM 70gr. TSX Barrier/Hunting load. Out of my 18-inch Crane barrel, this load averages 2,620 fps of velocity and requires at least a 1-in-8 inches twist to stabilize.

This long-for-caliber bullet stays together and penetrates deeply. I've used this load successfully on three different whitetail deer this year and didn't recover a single bullet. I have used this same load on countless feral hogs, which are tougher targets than deer, and can't recall ever recovering a bullet on a broadside shot.

Read more: Is the .223 Remington a Viable Deer Cartridge? | North American Whitetail

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.