Ruger 77 Hawkeye replacement trigger - replacement

Hydra6

I have a Ruger 77 Hawkeye FTW 3006 and the trigger is pretty bad in my opinion. Any advice on a replacement trigger appreciated. Seems like few options. I have experience with Rem 700 and clones triggers for my PRS rifles but not seeing many options for Ruger 77 Hawkeye.

I have a Ruger 77 Hawkeye FTW 3006 and the trigger is pretty bad in my opinion. Any advice on a replacement trigger appreciated. Seems like few options. I have experience with Rem 700 and clones triggers for my PRS rifles but not seeing many options for Ruger 77 Hawkeye.
rifle basix

Timney triggers have an excellent replacement for your Hawkeye, I fitted several and you must be aware that it needs grinding for the safety to work correctly. Other than that, you can almost have as light a trigger pull as you want, 1-3lbs. I set all the ones I have fitted at 2lbs and they all have had no creep and feel much lighter than 2lbs.

Cheers.

Timney Trigger on early push feed Ruger M77 MKII, but trigger will fit Hawkeye.

IMG_1418.JPG

As mentioned, minor fitting of safety required - I used a file on part of trigger that contacts rotating safety - good directions included with trigger, 15-minute job. Cost $125-$135. Overtravel adjustment seen in photo, safety contact other side. This one set for about 3 pounds.

Last edited:
Google Ernie the gunsmith , he makes replacement springs that will do the trick and save you some $ good luck

2 of my Hawkeyes, 375 Ruger and 264 win mag, I just polished up the sear, and put just a slight radius on the 90 degree surface, and they break at 2 3/4 pounds. Replaced the spring as well. My other 3 Hawkeyes, 300 RCM, 338 RCM and 257 roberts all have Timney triggers and break at 2 1/2 pounds, and are very good. Either way you go, the triggers are much improved.

2 of my Hawkeyes, 375 Ruger and 264 win mag, I just polished up the sear, and put just a slight radius on the 90 degree surface, and they break at 2 3/4 pounds. Replaced the spring as well. My other 3 Hawkeyes, 300 RCM, 338 RCM and 257 roberts all have Timney triggers and break at 2 1/2 pounds, and are very good. Either way you go, the triggers are much improved.
Could you take a photo of what that looks like when it's finished?

Look into the trigger spring, cost more to ship it than to purchase but for my m77 mark II it was a night and day difference in trigger pull.

Could you take a photo of what that looks like when it's finished?
The only I could do that is if I take it back apart, and sorry, but I'm not to crazy about doing that. I think I might have photos from the internet where I learned what to polish. In the morning I'll see if I can find them.