Ruger 2 stage trigger issue. Help!!!

Creedmoor shooter

I have a Ruger Hawkeye predator and I am having some serious trigger issues. Ive been dealing with this for awhile but when it went off on me the other day something needs to be done. The trigger pulls and operates fine until I tighten my rear action screw then it gets very choppy like it wont spring back and it doesnt pull smooth and the pull gets to like 1/2 lb. I back the rear action screw off and it goes back to normal. Im not over tightening because its doing it almost at finger tight. Can anybody tell me what on earth is going on? I should just take it to a smith but i wanted to see if someone could tell me what im doing wrong.

a guess here but is your stock relieved enough around the trigger?? It sounds like you may have contact when you tighten it down.

Perhaps I'm off base here and someone will chime in with another answer.

a guess here but is your stock relieved enough around the trigger?? It sounds like you may have contact when you tighten it down.

Perhaps I'm off base here and someone will chime in with another answer.

That was my first thought so i sanded around the trigger area but i cant seem to find where the contact is. The stock was fitting tight in that area but it doesnt seem to now. I just dont know where the sock could be hitting the trigger to make it do this.

I have had this happen before on a wood stocked M77 MKII. The action was being distorted when it was tightened down into the stock. I bedded the action for a stress free fit and no longer had any problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.